PB-105 Burnpot Revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Centurion

Nov 27, 2008
Nr Albany, NY
I haven't been here all summer so I am not sure if there has been further discussion regarding the PB105 burn pot issues. I just scored a new burn pot from Harman that is much heavier than the one that is presently in my boiler and much thicker stainless steel. It has 3 narrow slots cut thru on the top of the burn pot where the bubble used to form which I was told would allow for predictable expansion and contraction of the steel and there are also fewer welds than the older burn pot. If this is old news, please disregard but if not I can post pictures and steel gauge changes if requested.

Please post some photos of your new burnpot. The photo below is of my new burnpot that was installed on 3/5/2012, no bubble or cracks to date.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/vtreloader/DSC00036.jpg

I believe it looks just like your Will except I can't see if it has the 3 slits cut into it. I see that ICE has the pictures posted of his new burnpot which is just what mine looks like. He and I purchased our boilers from the same dealer so must be he got a call for a new burnpot right after me. Sure is a lot beefier weighing in at 8.8 lbs. Thanks for the reply Will. Hopefully this is the end of the saga :)

Take care....John

John, did your dealer call and offer to replace the burnpot or were you having problems and bought the replacement?
Oh yes Katman, like Will, in the 5 years that I owned the boiler I had to replace the burnpot every year because of the bubble. The replacements were always graciously provided at no charge and I installed them myself. This new replacement was also no charge and was offered to me even before the present one failed. I will keep my fingers crossed that this new one is the last one I will have to replace.
John

I got a new burnpot from the dealer in August. Unfortunately, it looks like a prior design -- possibly like the one you reported receiving last February. Hope this one does the job for you!

I got a new burnpot from the dealer in August. Unfortunately, it looks like a prior design -- possibly like the one you reported receiving last February. Hope this one does the job for you!
Me too Graybeard. The new one is much more massive in design and Wil has had his in service since last March and said so far so good. That is promising for sure! I was told though that this new burnpot is still an experiment and may only given to those folks that have a high failure rate. I'm sure that when Harman engineering is satisfied that they have the answer that anyone who still has an issue will be contacted by their dealer. The odd thing about this issue is that not all folks are having the problem so it's possible that they may never get a phone call.

Me too Graybeard. The new one is much more massive in design and Wil has had his in service since last March and said so far so good. That is promising for sure! I was told though that this new burnpot is still an experiment and may only given to those folks that have a high failure rate. I'm sure that when Harman engineering is satisfied that they have the answer that anyone who still has an issue will be contacted by their dealer. The odd thing about this issue is that not all folks are having the problem so it's possible that they may never get a phone call.
Centurion,
Does yours have the holes in the side? I am very curious how those holes on the side are gonna change the burn. Seems to me without having them side by side this new one has a LOT more air holes. Have you burned with it yet? Your thoughts...
Also as far as I can see my old burnpot is flawless. I was called "out of the clear blue" and told he had a pot for me. this works out great as I wanted an old cracked pot so o can look into getting the proper metal and rebuild one. If I cant weld it I have several connections in local welding shops I expect to be running it like 30% or so harder this year. I'm gonna lay in 9 tons of pellets and expect to have to buy more.

Centurion,
Does yours have the holes in the side? I am very curious how those holes on the side are gonna change the burn. Seems to me without having them side by side this new one has a LOT more air holes. Have you burned with it yet? Your thoughts...
Also as far as I can see my old burnpot is flawless. I was called "out of the clear blue" and told he had a pot for me. this works out great as I wanted an old cracked pot so o can look into getting the proper metal and rebuild one. If I cant weld it I have several connections in local welding shops I expect to be running it like 30% or so harder this year. I'm gonna lay in 9 tons of pellets and expect to have to buy more.

Hello Ice, long time since I've heard from you. Yet, mine looks just like the pictures that you posted. Ed called me and said he had a gift for me so I stopped by and picked it up. He said that because I have had so many fail that I am now a "Tester"! Sounds like you are now a tester too :). I haven't installed it yet as I just picked it up on Tuesday but I hope to this weekend. I'll let you know when I get it done. I have 10 tons stacked in the basement now which I should have at least 3 left over for next winter.

Got a new burnpot from Harman for my PF100 pellet furnace a couple of weeks ago. It's the same as the old ones.

Got a new burnpot from Harman for my PF100 pellet furnace a couple of weeks ago. It's the same as the old ones.
I replaced the old burnpot with this new one this weekend and as usual very simple and quick. Interestingly, this new burnpot weighs 8.8 lbs and the old one weighs 6.6lbs. That is a significant difference plus along with some other obvious design changes, hopefully this new one will be a success! Between Wil and I and others I'm sure there will be timely updates.

I replaced the old burnpot with this new one this weekend and as usual very simple and quick. Interestingly, this new burnpot weighs 8.8 lbs and the old one weighs 6.6lbs. That is a significant difference plus along with some other obvious design changes, hopefully this new one will be a success! Between Wil and I and others I'm sure there will be timely updates.
how does the flame look?

how does the flame look?
I don't see a diff in the flame Ice. I have no idea what purpose the side configuration is for. If anyone has that info I would like to here about it.

I'm trying to resist having burnpot envy! Last year was my first full season with the pb 105 and I didn't notice a bubble in my original burnpot so I guess I should be happy. However, I'm going to see if I can get it to burn a little hotter this year. Will see what happens.

Same here. My PB105 has the original burnpot from when I bought it in 2008. You're making me jealous of your shiny new stuff. I can already see it now. Mine will develop a problem just as the warranty runs out and I'll have to buy one of those shiny new ones.

Hi everyone, new to the site. I just had a pb105 installed 3 weeks ago. I already have a bubble in the burn pot and have had 3 separate explosions, in which it has filled the basement full of smoke. Any ideas how to fix? Disappointing after the money spent! Excited to burn pellets......just frustrated. Thanks for your time and help.
Kevrev

Those happen when the ignitor is working poorly (could have ash in it or the holes above it blocked). It takes too long to ignite and builds up a lot of wood gas in the stove. So when it does ignite, it's with a BOOM. The explosive ignition overpowers the combustion air and pushes smoke back out the air intake.

I've suspected that the burnpot bubble is related to the igniter as well -- nothing to back that up, just the observation that heat rises and the fact that the igniter is below the spot where the bubble forms.

Kevrev has a brand new unit -- I doubt that it's plugged with ash or fines already. Sounds like a defect on delivery. Call the Harman retailer and have them make it right.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Ever since the first KABOOM, I've scraped the burn pot every day. Also checked under the burn pot, not much fines build up. The burn pot was chocked full of pellets and even pushed pellets into the ash pan.I'm just confused by the fact that it will run for a week with no issues and then it happens out of the blue. Dealer is in contact with Harmon now... so we will see. Thanks again for the comments. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Ever since the first KABOOM, I've scraped the burn pot every day. Also checked under the burn pot, not much fines build up. The burn pot was chocked full of pellets and even pushed pellets into the ash pan.I'm just confused by the fact that it will run for a week with no issues and then it happens out of the blue. Dealer is in contact with Harmon now... so we will see. Thanks again for the comments. I'll keep you posted.
Also check all your door gaskets including the one that surrounds the burn pot for integrity. I seem to remember someone having an ash door gasket that failed causing the same results as you have experienced. There are a lot of folks on this forum that have the PB-105 that may have experienced this same issue so perhaps they will chime in. Personally I have never had the problem.

Hi everyone, new to the site. I just had a pb105 installed 3 weeks ago. I already have a bubble in the burn pot and have had 3 separate explosions, in which it has filled the basement full of smoke. Any ideas how to fix? Disappointing after the money spent! Excited to burn pellets......just frustrated. Thanks for your time and help.
Kevrev
Unit just installed? if it was new the dealer should be called. as for the burn pot having a bubble after 3 weeks of very low use (it hasent been cold enough to actually get a good workout). I suspect you must have a used unit (new to you) that came with a bubble started. I find it very hard to digest a burn pot would go south so soon. Also there is a rule of this forum..."no pic's...it didn't happen" Please fill us in ....details

Same here. My PB105 has the original burnpot from when I bought it in 2008. You're making me jealous of your shiny new stuff. I can already see it now. Mine will develop a problem just as the warranty runs out and I'll have to buy one of those shiny new ones.
Hey Scot, what are you using as a vent, a thru the wall or a full size chimney?

Ice, I believe the burnpot in my boiler had a noticeable bulge in it a month or so after I fired it up for the first time, so the bubble can show up pretty quickly. I knew that others had had the problem from lurking on this forum, so I let my dealer know right away. It started to show cracks around March, IIRC. My dealer swapped in a new pot this summer as a warrantied repair when I had him service the unit.

You're right, though -- I assumed that Kevrev has a new boiler when he didn't specify that.

Reactions: iceguy4

Ice, I believe the burnpot in my boiler had a noticeable bulge in it a month or so after I fired it up for the first time, so the bubble can show up pretty quickly. I knew that others had had the problem from lurking on this forum, so I let my dealer know right away. It started to show cracks around March, IIRC. My dealer swapped in a new pot this summer as a warrantied repair when I had him service the unit.

You're right, though -- I assumed that Kevrev has a new boiler when he didn't specify that.
wow
I stand corrected;em There HAS to be a common denominator.. My signature pretty much sums up my usage 7 + tons pellets from mid December to end of season. My burn pot looks un changed in any significant way. my vent goes up 5' ...90° ...then straight out 5'...most of the season OAK.. I have a pressure igniter. I'm very curious . Maybe if everyone posts their setup, it will stand out. Kevrev,, how does your setup compare to Mr. Graybeard's setup.?
Also Centurian and I have the newer style (Pic's in https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-burnpot-just-got-a-new-floating-floor-style-pics.115575/ thread. Centurian has installed his and I was gonna...but I'm not gonna rush.. I'm kinda thinking..."if it aint broke, don't fix it"...or I remember another saying...US Military..."If it aint broke, fix it till it is!"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.