PE Pacific Insert -Newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ODog

Dec 3, 2007
Central MA
Hello everyone, and happy holidays.
My issue -taking a long time and a lot of wood to get temps up in the room.

I installed a PE Pacific insert into my existing, (non-prefab) fireplace on an outside wall. I used a full ss liner. We're heating a greatroom of approx 900 sf with 10 foot ceilings and fans on reverse. Using seasoned Oak and Maple mostly. The house is well insulated (new windows and doors).
I'm somewhat handy, so I installed it myself. I needed to remove a good part of the original damper and bricks that supported it (towards the front) in order to make the liner bend into the top of the stove.

I did not use a block-off plate, although the cap flange is secured to the top of the chimney.

Question 1
The back of the stove is essentially open to the outside (through the chimney without a blockoff plate). Can I add fireproof insulation down through the top of the chimney to just above the original damper (surrounding the liner)? I was thinking I could simply push it down from the top and limit any cold air from getting to the back of the stove.

Questin 2
With an insert like this, where do I put the temp gauge in order to read accurate firebox temps. Right now I have it on the door.

If the answer is "Take out the stove and put a block off plate in" , with all due respect, it won't happen. I have a bad back and won't be moving the stove again. I'll turn up the thermostat first. I'm looking for reasonable alternatives that are safe.

Thank you all in advance.

Sorry, insulating the liner is required for an exterior chimney and installing a block off plate is the correct answer, even if you have to pay someone to do it.

The thermometer should be on the stove body. Folks have been putting them on the front face of the stove at the upper left or right corner, just past the door.

It's worth doing correctly IMO.

I have exactly the same insert and it gets marvelously hot extremely fast.
I am lucky in that my house allows good circulation so that I am 99.9% heating the entire 2000 sq ft with it- the one exception being a small space heater in an upstairs invalids bedroom. She's cold at 80ºF, but the rest of my upstairs is a decent 68-70º.
The basement where the insert is located is shorts and tank tops.

My issue -taking a long time and a lot of wood to get temps up in the room.

ODog, you're on the right track with your insulation plans: a chimney that runs up an outside wall can conduct a lot of heat to the great outdoors.

Another thought: when your source of heat is a 2 cu.ft. firebox, you can't expect to bring a room up to temperature quickly. The best way to run a woodstove is to use it to MAINTAIN the desired temperature: have a little patience during the warmup process, and then add fuel as needed to keep the room comfortable.

ODog - I have the same insert. It's installed in the lower level of a 3 level split. I have a full SS liner and the other side of the chimney/wall into which the stove is installed is the garage. I've found that the keys are to keep the unit going and make sure air is moving around. It seems as though it does take a while for the heat to flow throughout the house, but once it does the stove does a good job of maintaining temperature. This is our 3rd season with this insert (second of burning continuously) so I'm still a greenhorn, but have been very pleased thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.