PE Super 27 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I've done three break-in fires in my Super 27 and have a couple questions. If you have a T5 feel free to weigh in since the stoves share the same firebox. The T6 and Summit are probably pretty much the same except for the EBT right?

1. How long does it typically take until you can start shutting down primary air after a cold start?
On the third fire I wanted to get the secondary going a little and it seemed to take a really long time till I could start dialing down the air without almost putting the fire out. It was in the 60's and I didn't have a whole lot of wood in there so I figured that was most likely the cause.

2. Once you do get the secondarys going where do you usually set the primary air?
I found that once the secondarys were going good I could completely shut down the primary air and the secondarys where still cruising. I did bump it up a tiny bit after the first hour when the fire seemed to be slowing down a little. Is this normal?

3. Do you notice different behavior with the way the wood physically burns depending on the type of wood?
In my second fire after I burned some small pieces I took a nice split of my premium 2 year old red oak, split it in half and put the two pieces in. I got the secondarys going and turned the primary way down. The wood turned totally black and the front ends started ashing like a cigar and burned the entire way like that, it was really cool. On the third fire I used some maple that was really dry and it didn't turn black like the oak did, it just burned and was actually burning not only from the front but from the top as well from the secondary flames. I thought it was because there was more wood in the 3rd fire therefore the wood was closer to the baffle.

4. On the 3rd fire when it was going really well at one point I noticed flames coming from the holes of the boost manifold. I also noticed some flame that seemed to be coming from the small gap between the side of the firebox and the end of the boost manifold. Is this normal?

Thanks and sorry for all of the questions.

albert,

Answers to the first three will be wood moisture content dependant, as well as draft to name a few

1. ~ 45 mins from a cold start, empty firebox, and the shutdown is in series, ie , close a third, wait 15 or more mins etc. Stove temp will help, as well as more experience with the stove itself.
2. Sounds normal, after a while, secondaries will stop after the "gasification process"
3. Yep, different wood types do burn differently, most likely moisture content variances play a part in this as well.
4. Yep

Humor---> Don't bring up EBT on this site, do a search and you will find out why I suggest this.

:exclaim: !!EBT??!! :exclaim: ... %-P

Thanks for the responses. Now that you mention it I do recall reading on here that someone had plugged the EBT hole or somehow disabled it. I'll do a search to find out why.

Status
Not open for further replies.