PE T5 latch/catch problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

termv

Feb 11, 2008
Womelsdorf, PA
I got a phone call this morning from my parents informing me the stove(PE T5) door won't close. I told them they may need to bend the latch a little open if they have been shutting the door repeatedly without making sure the handle is in the open(up) position and hitting the catch with the latch. They looked at it while I was on the phone and said the latch is hitting the catch when the handle is in the proper open position on the stove so I am not sure what happened. My father gently lifted door while closing and managed to get the door closed at least enough that the gasket is against the stove body and very slightly latched. My questions is, can the latch be bent up(toward ceiling) for an adjustment or has the door started sagging etc? Anyway, the stove shop guys are coming out Friday afternoon to look at this because they said their floor model's door has 0% movement up and down. My parents has very slight movement but there is some there. I'll be there tomorrow for Turkey day and would like to help them if I can get some help from here.

Thanks in advance.
BTW they love the T5!

I just checked the T6 and also get zero play in the door movement up and down. I'm glad the stove shop is sending someone to take a look at it. If the issue is with the hinge and not the latch, it should get fixed right away. It might be good for your father to let the stove go out and tomorrow morning check the hinge closely for any play or looseness.

Thanks for checking your t6 and confirming no movement. They already let it go out today, got too hot with the baking adding extra btus. I'm going to try to be there friday when the stove tech is there and will post problem and fix in case anyone else encounters this.

i gotta a little wiggle room up and down i was sent a whole door handle:(
haven't put it on yet though
am gonna put new gasket on ... a thick one and see what happens

termv said:
Thanks for checking your t6 and confirming no movement. They already let it go out today, got too hot with the baking adding extra btus. I'm going to try to be there friday when the stove tech is there and will post problem and fix in case anyone else encounters this.

Ok so did they fix it?

It opens and closes now but it's still not smooth. What they did was loosen the two bolts on the catch, slide it out a little and tighten bolts. I was reading the threads about adjusting the hinge and may attempt dropping the cast panel to adjust but I'm not sure I want to do that yet.

Have you tried oiling the latch?

On the T5 there is no need to remove the side casting to get at the top hinge. That comment applies to the T6 ONLY. I'll bet that the single bolt that is accessible on top of the stove when the right hand side trivet is fully opened is loose, just like mine was. My latch was getting harder to close too, because the upper hinge was slipping out of position and I had a runaway fire. It is a 2 minute job with a socket wrench to loosen the bolt, push the top of the door back against the face of the stove and while holding it there, tighten the bolt again. On mine it was like magic, getting control back over the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.