pellet basket for wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
I have a wood insert and would like to burn pellets this season. Any thoughts on the wood pellet baskets? How efficient and how long of a burn time do they have?

I think most will agree, they are not worth it. Sorry I have no details as to efficiency other than to say...inefficient, and I imagine burn times are relative to how many pellets and how much draft you can get.

I have never heard of this...what is it?

stillersnut said:
I have a wood insert and would like to burn pellets this season. Any thoughts on the wood pellet baskets? How efficient and how long of a burn time do they have?

Everyone seems to agree they don't work. However, I haven't seen a post from anyone that has TRIED one. On the other hand, there aren't thousands of admirers of the units on here swearing how good they are. I've gotten suckered into a few things over the years that looked great on TV. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

I used a product called the Pelleteer last year in my Jotul wood stove and had good sucess with It. I would come home at 5:00 P.M. and load the basket with about 10 lbs. of pellets (Full to the top of the basket. I would then lite the pellets with my Propane torch and clost the door and leave the vent wide open till all of the pellets on the top were burning. I would then close the vent 1/4 of the way and let it go at that. My house would stay warn till about 10: P.M. when I would have ashes left and we would be going to bed soon/ In my opinion It worked well. I liked the convenience of the wood Pellets so much that This summer I bought a real pellet stove.
Jim

we once carried a product called a Prometheus basket....basically a stainless steel basket on legs....didnt work woth a damn, ended up giving them away!

Haha, on this note, anyone have an old pellet basket they'd like to give away? I'd gladly take one off your hands for just the shipping cost... Just want to experiment with one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.