Pellet choices for Central MA & Enviro Milan Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAVinMetrowest

Sep 11, 2014
Central MA
I've had my Milan insert for about a month and have had about 20 short duration fires (2 - 5 hours). Getting to know the insert and trying various pellets. I've had a lot of work done on my house this summer, replacing the natural gas furnace (80% efficient) with a new 97% efficient unit (due to age). My insert is primarily a way to get some use from my unusable fireplace and will be used mostly for ambiance and living room comfort (note it is also spec'd at 83% efficient).

I am lucky enough to be able to buy the following pellets locally and will probably buy based on price - choosing a $5 bag as I have burned all of them with success, not much difference in ash quantity (I'm still a nube at this) and have found no clinkers or other buildup in my burn pot that did not easily vacuum out:

Pellet Seller Cost
Green Team Supreme Home Depot $4.98
New England Wood Pellet Ashland Landscape Supply $6.00
North American Pellets Premium Hardwood/Softwood blend Lowes $4.98
Green Team Platinum Lowes $5.98
Maine's Choice Premium Wood Pellets Lowes $4.98
La Crete Pellets Bark Unlimited $6.50
Fireside Ultra Premium Grade Wood Pellet Fuel Home Depot $4.98

I'm watching the threads on 'pigs' and 'hording' and weighing how many bags to have on hand as I did not experience the shortages that most of you have endured as users over the past several years.

I'm a little tight on cash as I'm paying off my new equipment costs so I'm purchasing bags 10 at at time each week.

I think I will settle on Fireside Ultra's and start stocking up on them.

Thoughts and/or comments are appreciated?

I've had my Milan insert for about a month and have had about 20 short duration fires (2 - 5 hours). Getting to know the insert and trying various pellets. I've had a lot of work done on my house this summer, replacing the natural gas furnace (80% efficient) with a new 97% efficient unit (due to age). My insert is primarily a way to get some use from my unusable fireplace and will be used mostly for ambiance and living room comfort (note it is also spec'd at 83% efficient).

I am lucky enough to be able to buy the following pellets locally and will probably buy based on price - choosing a $5 bag as I have burned all of them with success, not much difference in ash quantity (I'm still a nube at this) and have found no clinkers or other buildup in my burn pot that did not easily vacuum out:

Pellet Seller Cost
Green Team Supreme Home Depot $4.98
New England Wood Pellet Ashland Landscape Supply $6.00
North American Pellets Premium Hardwood/Softwood blend Lowes $4.98
Green Team Platinum Lowes $5.98
Maine's Choice Premium Wood Pellets Lowes $4.98
La Crete Pellets Bark Unlimited $6.50
Fireside Ultra Premium Grade Wood Pellet Fuel Home Depot $4.98

I'm watching the threads on 'pigs' and 'hording' and weighing how many bags to have on hand as I did not experience the shortages that most of you have endured as users over the past several years.

I'm a little tight on cash as I'm paying off my new equipment costs so I'm purchasing bags 10 at at time each week.

I think I will settle on Fireside Ultra's and start stocking up on them.

Thoughts and/or comments are appreciated?
I definitely would bring in some LaCretes, they are a premium pellet over the others on your list, a bit less ash over the long haul and rated at more heat. My use would support that claim as well. Then it's really a toss up from there between NEWP, the Ultras and Green Team. Maines Choice would be off my list personally and I have not burned the Green Supreme so reserve comment on those.. I would at least pick up 3 or 4 or 5 bags of the LaCrete to try and see if you don't notice a difference over the rest, if not evident in your burning style then don't get them again is all..

Ive used Okanagan Platinum almost exclusively since my stove was installed. Due to a shortage of platinums this year, I bought douglas fir. I will be experimenting with other pellet varieties to see what else I like since $345 per ton for DF is a bit hard on the wallet.

Ive used Okanagan Platinum almost exclusively since my stove was installed. Due to a shortage of platinums this year, I bought douglas fir. I will be experimenting with other pellet varieties to see what else I like since $345 per ton for DF is a bit hard on the wallet.
Tim, to me the DF is superior to the platinum in that brand. But of my supply only the mid winter burn is covered by DF. They are expensive so just two tons are bought . The rest is something else, this year that is made up of Energex Hardwood and LG soft . I feel LaCrete is a quality pellet but locally not available this year.

It's hard for me to justify $1.50 per bag more for LaCretes over HD's Fireside Ultra's ~ a premium of 30%. I'm not seeing a benefit?

It's hard for me to justify $1.50 per bag more for LaCretes over HD's Fireside Ultra's ~ a premium of 30%. I'm not seeing a benefit?
Then you shouldn't buy LaCrete. If you are happy with the FSU fine and get no benefit from the other, nuff said! I tried FSU last year. I didn't see any big bang in my life out of them personally. Lots of ash, so so heat by comparison . But a lot of people do like them.

ok, finally put my order in for 3 tons of Lacrete for $366/1.2 tons. not liking the price, but this is my first year. not a lot of options for pellets in the Greater boston area - southshore pelltes in holbrook not taking any orders, and woodpellets.com only have 2 options for mid-november delivery. finally used the place in acton for the lacretes, they will deliver one ton in 2 weeks and the other 2 tons later. (i hope). stove to be installed in 2 weeks, so hopefully will have something to burn.

ok, finally put my order in for 3 tons of Lacrete for $366/1.2 tons. not liking the price, but this is my first year. not a lot of options for pellets in the Greater boston area - southshore pelltes in holbrook not taking any orders, and woodpellets.com only have 2 options for mid-november delivery. finally used the place in acton for the lacretes, they will deliver one ton in 2 weeks and the other 2 tons later. (i hope). stove to be installed in 2 weeks, so hopefully will have something to burn.
Pick up some loose bags meanwhile from anyplace you find them. HD, Lowes should have some loose bags around. Though more money some hardware stores might have some. Then you will have a few bags around for the install date.

Status
Not open for further replies.