Pellet Delivery Blues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I'm going with the Hamers from Fredrick. I emailed the guy last night and he said he'd do $70 for delivery, so I even saved $10.

FYI, here is the info I found on the hitch:

Class III
Class III hitches are weight carrying (WC) and also are weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications. Not all Class III hitches are rated to be both. The hitch specifications will alert you to a hitch that is not weight distributing. Class III hitches used as weight carrying is rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 600 lbs. Hitches that are used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs. The use of a ball mount and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required. To use the weight distribution side of the hitch a weight distribution system is required. Class III hitches attach to the vehicle frame only. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating.

And, of course, those weights would also be limited by what my owners manual said the frame could take, which for the Escape appears to be tounge weight - 350 lbs, trailer weight 3500lbs, for WC. And thats maximum. So, one ton is probably not a problem, but thats also limiting me to a ton at a time. There is also wear and tear and the hassle factor, as everyone has been saying (plus the actual trailer rental and hitch costs)

Anyhow, its a fun thought experiment, but in the end, the $70 delivery is probably worth it.

In the spring next year rent a u-hall truck and go pick up 4 tons. They are 29.99/day + .20/mile

oldmountvernon said:
all i have to say on the subject is getting a delivery and dropped where you want them is priceless. ( well not really but you get the idea )

Agreed. My only gripe is the last two Moffetts that came to my house were 1" too tall to get through the garage door.

Guess I need a pallet jack, although moving them by hand is a good workout.

Get a beater pick up. I've always had one, in addition to my regular vehicles. Besides hauling pellets, they are great for getting a load of dirt or gravel for the yard, or to bring home rental equipment and avoid the delivery and pick up fees. I put less than 2000 miles a year on mine and I get a low mileage discount on my truck's insurance.

F-350.jpg

Dave

Silverfox is right, get them delivered and then plan ahead. If you can't plan ahead, you can fall back on paying for delivery again.
I would tell you to forget that pellet jack thing. If you ever have seen it done, you will know you have to be really aware of what you are doing. Getting them off a trailer is nerve racking.
I usually have mine delivered right in place, no problem. But, I will tell you that I recently went to a place with my pick up and bought a ton. I bought them home a half ton at a time. They will load them on your truck. I brought them home, backed up to the garage door and then unloaded them one bag at time. I pull them down to a cart and pull them over to where I unload them on a pallet. I am a senior citizen, overweight, and have my share of health issues. I moved them just fine. Did it in two evenings with no ill effects. I wouldn't invest in the hitch unless I was familiar and committed to using it for other things. That is one reason why I keep a pickup truck. I don't put more than a couple thousand miles on in any one year, but it sure is handy when I need it.
My thought on getting pellets kind of goes back to my wood burning days where I learned to be a year ahead. That way I have some security that I will get though the winter. Once you finally have some pellets ahead, start trying a few other brands. That way you will have some options to consider when it is your time to fill up again.
The markets go up and down. Play it to YOUR advantage.

i used to pick up pellets by the ton then i realized id be ahead of the game by paying for delivery due to the saving on fuel cost and sweat effort. the delivery truck here has forks on it. he just unhooks from the trailer, picks a pallet, and sets it anywhere i want. i was pretty impressed. i caught somersets on sale and got 4 tons delivered for $800.

DneprDave said:
Get a beater pick up. I've always had one, in addition to my regular vehicles. Besides hauling pellets, they are great for getting a load of dirt or gravel for the yard, or to bring home rental equipment and avoid the delivery and pick up fees. I put less than 2000 miles a year on mine and I get a low mileage discount on my truck's insurance.

F-350.jpg

Dave

Dave...That truck doesn't look like a beater to me...LOL But I agree with you, My truck is my daily driver, but I would never live where I live without a truck!!

1 - get your hitch from www.etrailer.com for the best prices.

2 - You can definitely pull a trailer with a ton on it with your Escape without trailer brakes. You may have to go slower to feel comfortable. Electric brakes are great but not necessary if your load is not TOO big...

3 - Definitely make sure that load is in the right place so the trailer takes the weight it should and your tongue weight is not more than it should be. You will need to stabilize the load too. I have used pallets or 4x4 to make sure the pallet of pellets does not move around in transit.

Yeah I would imagine a ton with an Escape wouldn't be to bad.

I towed my car hauler with one before. My empty car trailer is around 2500lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.