Pellet Furnace Questions and Advice Needed Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petejung

Sep 28, 2007
We've enjoyed our Englander 25pdvc very much... But now want to get some info on a pellet/multi fuel furnace.

First, who makes them? I know Breckwell has the Big E... I think US Stove has one, too. What other makes/models are out there?

Secondly, does anyone know any resources online that I can go to that talk about/show how to install one of these things? I.E., how to tie into your existing duct system, do you use existing furnace blower, etc... Breckwell's installation manual didn't discuss any of this.

As further information, I am in SW Ohio, have an existing natural gas forced air furnace.

Thanks in advance!

I have a Breckwell Big E , and I have did some work in the duct building/ installation business. I'm sure some very handy / inventor could build some kind of duct system to work with the Big E if he had a lot of money and a big imagination . But I don't think an ordinary person would want to take on that task .

Don't know about multi fuel, but Harman offers the PF100
pellet furnace, and St Croix the SCF-050 corn furnace.
I'm sure others exist but those are the two I've heard
the most talk about on other forums.

Are you looking for a pellet furnace or a pellet stove with large capacity? For capacity check out the Englander http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-puf.html. Holds 240 lbs of pellets. If you are looking for a real pellet furnace check on BioKing, Harman PF-100, Magnum 6500, Pinnacle Eco-Fit, etc.

I'm looking for an actual pellet furnace. Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll do some research on those other models mentioned.

So, is anyone out there actually using one of these units? I checked out the ones that BeGreen mentioned. The BoiKing and the eco-fit are pretty nice, but are really expensive! I couldn't ever see getting any positive return on my money if I bought one of those...

But wondering if others have installed these units and how well they work for heating the whole house?

Pete, I started out thinking that I might get a pellet furnace down the road but honestly after just a short time running the stove in the house I'm thinking that I'd rather just have a second stove instead. You are right those furnaces are EXPENSIVE and getting one shipped and installed would only add to the total cost. (Can you image what one of those mosters weighs?! :bug: ) In my mild climate I don't see how I can justify the expense. Since I'm not loosing heat via ducts it's taking a lot less btu's to heat the whole house so I'm finding I'm rather reluctant to even think about going back to a furnace of any kind. Still, I'll be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with a pellet furnace. I guess it never hurts to explore your options.

pegdot said:
Pete, I started out thinking that I might get a pellet furnace down the road but honestly after just a short time running the stove in the house I'm thinking that I'd rather just have a second stove instead. You are right those furnaces are EXPENSIVE and getting one shipped and installed would only add to the total cost. (Can you image what one of those mosters weighs?! :bug: ) In my mild climate I don't see how I can justify the expense. Since I'm not loosing heat via ducts it's taking a lot less btu's to heat the whole house so I'm finding I'm rather reluctant to even think about going back to a furnace of any kind. Still, I'll be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with a pellet furnace. I guess it never hurts to explore your options.

I thought about a second stove, too, to heat my upstairs. But with a traditional closed floor plan, I don't even have anypalce to put the stove upstairs, much less spread the heat around, hence the thoughts of the pellet furnace.

I agree, though. Probably cost prohibitive.

Pete,
I've been running a Harman PF 100 since November. I considered a large pellet stove, but floor plan made it impossible to really heat first floor with a stove alone. Furnaces are a little more expensive--when you add on duct work, dampers, and installing a new circuit for the unit. I was heating with propane before that, so anything I switched to, no matter how expensive, would pay itself off within a year. I like the PF 100. Depending on how cold the month is, I can heat the house anywhere from $194 to $275 a month. I've been lucky enough to find pellets for $3.88 a bag at Sam's Club, so far the best price I've found.
Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

pegdot said:
Pete, don't know where you are located but there's a used furnace listed on ebay that sounds interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAEGER-FORCED-...ryZ41987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

peggy beat me to it , though i didnt see the link , traeger makes a fantastic line of sstoves and the furnaces are highly regarded, tarm is a good choice as well , i'd mention our 25-puf , but it cannot be tied into ductwork so its not a furnace in the true sense of the word, look at the harman as well its pretty tight too.

EDIT , the one on the ebay link is a furnace but he is dumping into the room instead of the ductwork , the large square opening is where the "plenum" is for the unit , that would be connected directly to the trunk line or the main furnace's plenum. also looks like he ahs a hopper extension on it.

I own and operate a Harman PF100 pellet furnace. It is ducted into our central plenum/ducting system that our main gas furnace uses. We installed dampers so that either of the furnaces could be used base don what we preferred at that time...

Any specific questions??

I plan on installing a pellet furnace within the next month, leaning toward the PF- 100 or the St. Croix SCF- 050 or Revolution. St,. Croix price is nice, but everyone I know swears by Harman. Will be hooking into existing ductwork in the cellar, would really like some informed opinions, pros, cons.

The Revolution looks nice. No doubt that the Harman is heavy-duty also. It's your $$, so no one else can make the decision for you.....but I don't think you will go wrong with these. Depending on your handiness, you may want to take future service and parts replacement into account. That may mean guessing which local dealer will serve you better. It has been pointed out here often that Harman stoves usually refuses to talk to or deal with the end users. That might be true for other brands as well - so your dealer if often the vital link.

Note, one of our site sponsors makes a line of hot air Pellet furnaces also:
http://www.americanenergysystems.com/magnum6500.cfm

I've seen ads and checked the Magnum website, looks like a real nice unit. Closest dealer I've found listed is 160 miles away, though. Wish there was one closer, this is really something I feel a need to see, feel, touch before I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.