Pellet pig and pics to prove it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hafta say that the truckloads are impressive!

Dont mean to insult anybody,I just dont understand why someone would brag about having to pay a company to provide my heat. Oh,and my labor isnt free since it doesnt cost me a dime to stay warm all winter. Maybe when I get old my perspective will change.Nah.:)

This pretty much sums up a few of the reasons why I don't have any desire to harvest my own cord wood so that I can say that I heat my house for free.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-revised-the-14-times-i-handle-fire-wood-process-pics.93051/

Few other reasons:
1. I have both a wood stove and a pellet stove. I enjoy the operating convenience of the pellet stove much more. The wood stove takes longer to get going (starting the fire & controling dampers vs. thermostat on the pellet stove so I don't have to even think about it if I don't want to.)
2. I have to pay attention to the wood stove much more during the day. Watch temps, damper positions, reloading. With the pellet stove all I really need to do is load up the hopper once every during the coldest days and less than that during the shoulder months.
3. For pellets, I make one phone call each year and pellets show up on neatly stacked and wrapped pallets in my garage exactly where I want them and then all I have to do is just open the bag and dump the pellets into the stove.

Reactions: oldmountvernon
3 or more tons by first frost.

Now there is a lot of leeway granted by that first frost requirement.

You know things like, first fall frost, first winter frost, first November frost, first spring frost, etc ...

You have to apply, provide evidence of meeting the requirements and why we should let you into the group, we want only true oinkers so we want to know all about what piggishness traits you have (things like rolling around in pellet piles while planing a raid on another's stash, methods of spreading the pellet word, good deeds done for your fellow pigs, and so forth).

3 or more tons by first frost.

Now there is a lot of leeway granted by that first frost requirement.

You know things like, first fall frost, first winter frost, first November frost, first spring frost, etc ...

You have to apply, provide evidence of meeting the requirements and why we should let you into the group, we want only true oinkers so we want to know all about what piggishness traits you have (things like rolling around in pellet piles while planing a raid on another's stash, methods of spreading the pellet word, good deeds done for your fellow pigs, and so forth).
Gotcha! That's what I thought I read a while ago....
Hey OMV :p

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade or piss in there Cheerios, but I thought the criteria for being a pellet pig was that you needed to have your stash (4 tons or more) before the first frost? But then again I'm new here so what do I know.
By the way Kykel, very nice stash!
Furthermore, he DID have them before the first frost. Look at the pics and look at the grass. Nice lush green grass and beautifully folliated trees. Looks like his delivery was sometime circa June/July there in Lawn-Guyland!

Damn Global Warming. My grass looks like that too right now.

Dont mean to insult anybody,I just dont understand why someone would brag about having to pay a company to provide my heat. Oh,and my labor isnt free since it doesnt cost me a dime to stay warm all winter. Maybe when I get old my perspective will change.Nah.:)

Lots of people buy firewood? Ever looked at Craiglist?

This pretty much sums up a few of the reasons why I don't have any desire to harvest my own cord wood so that I can say that I heat my house for free.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-revised-the-14-times-i-handle-fire-wood-process-pics.93051/

Few other reasons:
1. I have both a wood stove and a pellet stove. I enjoy the operating convenience of the pellet stove much more. The wood stove takes longer to get going (starting the fire & controling dampers vs. thermostat on the pellet stove so I don't have to even think about it if I don't want to.)
2. I have to pay attention to the wood stove much more during the day. Watch temps, damper positions, reloading. With the pellet stove all I really need to do is load up the hopper once every during the coldest days and less than that during the shoulder months.
3. For pellets, I make one phone call each year and pellets show up on neatly stacked and wrapped pallets in my garage exactly where I want them and then all I have to do is just open the bag and dump the pellets into the stove.

Well said.... Plus you need to keep 2-3 years on hand to have properly seasoned wood. So time, energy, space, etc.. I am one of the Crazy ones with 4 + yrs of wood on hand and about 2-3 yrs worth of pellets :)

I have both also and love both of them (wood and pellet). But the time I spend loading and tending to the wood eater for 3 loads in 24 hrs, is way more time than I spend filling my hopper and doing a quick clean once a week.

Plus, the automation and constant temp. My woodstove needs tending at least twice a day and that leads to big temp swings. The pellet stove may get loaded once a day (depends on outside temp) and keeps the house a steady temp all day :)

I like them both. But for different reasons. I try not to scrounge wood either. I go cut it or buy a Log Length Load ;)

Reactions: Scols and Shaw520
The misspelling came from the original post of eernest4, our Grand Poobah.

Reactions: DexterDay
the time I spend loading and tending to the wood eater for 3 loads in 24 hrs, is way more time than I spend filling my hopper and doing a quick clean once a week.

Plus, the automation and constant temp. My woodstove needs tending at least twice a day and that leads to big temp swings. The pellet stove may get loaded once a day (depends on outside temp) and keeps the house a steady temp all day

.....sums it up.

More true words have never been said, Nothing more difficult than finding a tree...Wait a second, I just looked out the window and glory be, must be a thousand trees! Just saying! As far as life goes, if scrounging, cutting, splitting and stacking firewood is an accomplishment, I feel you need to set your sights a teeny bit higher.;)
Exactly ! Theres trees all around us, If your capable of doing something yourself why rely on someone else to do it for you ? Oh wait I know? Its far easier to sit on my dead ass watching the tube stuffing my face with Doritos and making a phonecall . Hey look at me im awesome I can make a phonecall and have someone else to the work so let me go on line and brag!. Gimme a break.;lol

Exactly ! Theres trees all around us, If your capable of doing something yourself why rely on someone else to do it for you ? Oh wait I know? Its far easier to sit on my dead ass watching the tube stuffing my face with Doritos and making a phonecall . Hey look at me im awesome I can make a phonecall and have someone else to the work so let me go on line and brag!. Gimme a break.;lol

Hmmmm....Is it that time of the month again Scols, Or did you just muster up some internet muscles to try and make up for your obvious lack of Testosterone?? Ugggh Look at me, I cut wood, chew nails and drink gasoline (I am Scols)...When in reality you are just trying to make up for the fact that you were born without a weiner??
All this being said, I am not much of a fan of Dorito's, but a big bag of Barbeque kettle chips, ice cold Busch Light and a Steeler's game will get my fat ass on the couch everytime!

Hmmmm....Is it that time of the month again Scols, Or did you just muster up some internet muscles to try and make up for your obvious lack of Testosterone?? Ugggh Look at me, I cut wood, chew nails and drink gasoline (I am Scols)...When in reality you are just trying to make up for the fact that you were born without a weiner??
All this being said, I am not much of a fan of Dorito's, but a big bag of Barbeque kettle chips, ice cold Busch Light and a Steeler's game will get my fat ass on the couch everytime!
Busch Light ! Now it all makes sense.;lol

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Most places with trees belong to other people and if you get caught cutting them you are in deep pucky but tell us Scols how do you harvest your trees?

Do you replant them as well? How do you get the wood to your house, did you build that as well?

Most places with trees belong to other people and if you get caught cutting them you are in deep pucky but tell us Scols how do you harvest your trees?

Do you replant them as well? How do you get the wood to your house, did you build that as well?

I have to assume that because it would be much easier to use a lazy mans chainsaw and hydraulic splitter!...Scols opts for an axe and a maul!;)

Buck saws too I'll wager.

I know where there are a number of nice big saws but Scols is going to need someone to help him use them (they ain't got any motors attached either).

Oh and Scols did you make your own saws?

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Buck saws too I'll wager.

I know where there are a number of nice big saws but Scols is going to need someone to help him use them (they ain't got any motors attached either).

Oh and Scols did you make your own saws?
What does building a house or a saw have to do with anything? Your logic defies logic. As far as obtaining wood goes, I get state and county permits to cut dead trees on park land, and I find that many private property owners are happy to let you cut dead trees on their property,especially if you give them some splits for their own use. And no I dont own a splitter, I use a fiskars or sledge and wedge and an old 18" husky. Now im going to leave this estrogen fest to you guys,keep patting yourselves on the back for using a credit card.God help America

Why does cutting trees make you think you are any better than anyone else?

You aren't exactly independent from the "man" especially since you have to ask permission from others and burn fuel to get it back home.

Come back when you own that land that you harvest from and have to pay taxes to the corporate entity that is the governmental jurisdiction the land is part of.

I happen to live where there are acres and acres of private wood lots and timber suitable for lumbering operations, you won't get any permission to enter their land at all.

Guarantee he burns wet wood!!!

Even dead trees need to season. Wood doesn't season until split.

(And i dont have a Credit Card. Pay for everything with cash$$$ :)) just sayin.

Saving money is saving money. Even using 100% pellets. I save almost $3,000 a yr. With wood I save more. But I spend quite a bit on equipment. Quite a bit ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.