Pellet prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idahokid said:
The prices are great out here compared to you guys on the east coast.I bought a ton of blazers yesterday from home depot for $187.We have a lot of hydro power here in Idaho.If pellets get to high we just turn on the electric heat.I think they know that here.We have everything electric.Are power bill was a tad over a hundred dollars.2100 square foot house.tank heaters for horses.Pellet stove.Hot water heater.Well pump.ect,ect.Inferno said once something about regional pricing.I think that is true.Happy new year.
How many KwH per month you using?, and how much they charge per KwH?
I'm avg 1000 KwH with just electric hot water and locked in at 8.99 cent's KwH

Hello

Well Home Depot just dropped their Wood Pellets Price to $3.74 a bag to match the new Salem NH Lowe's store price and it is only Jan 4th !!!

This year has been so different in NE. Much colder weather than last year and amazingly lower Pellet Prices than last year. At least it is nice to be on this Track!!

However some of the bags were wet and I could feel huge clumps inside the bag!! HD does not keep all their bags out of the rain in Salem NH here so buyer beware!!

See Pics

Attachments

• FreedomFuelSpringPriceSC.jpg
    FreedomFuelSpringPriceSC.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 613
  • FreedomFuelSpringSC.jpg
    FreedomFuelSpringSC.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 635
Get some Stove Chow for that price less 10% and now were talkin!!
Freedom, isn't worth getting excited over for that price

Don- I've been grabbing a few of Maines Choice that the Epping Lowes has... also at $3.74.
Not a bad pellet.

Nice to see lower prices. I'm just about stocked for next year.

Pellet-King said:
Get some Stove Chow for that price less 10% and now were talkin!!
Freedom, isn't worth getting excited over for that price

I've burned both Stove Chow and Freedom Fuel this year and the edge definitely goes to Freedom Fuel. I found this year's Freedom Fuel to burn hotter (+12 degrees at the exchange tubes with digital thermometer) and cleaner than this years Stove Chow. Plus the Freedom Fuel pellet size is much more uniform and consistent than Stove Chow. Just my personal observations burning at low feed with high fan speed on Quad 1200i.

Hello

I know Freedom Fuel is not the best wood pellet but it is a great bargaining chip. If your Lowe's or Home depot carries any wood pellets that burn better in your stove then show them this Pic and Price! They may give you your pellets for this price and maybe 10% more off!

Pennington Nature's Heat pellets, at least the ones I have purchased at about $4 per bag at my local Sam's Club and Walmart, have been great, burning very cleanly with literally no ash in the pan after a full day's use. They do vary however from one pallet to the next, so I can understand if there have been bad batches out there. I bought 5 bags of the Freedom Fuel pellets from Home Depot and they definitely burned dirtier, glad I tried a few bags as I wouldn't have wanted a ton of those. I would've purchased a ton of Pennington's from Sam's club, but they don't seem to have that option as they sell the individual bags in the seasonal section. However, I spoke with a store mgr at Sam's Club, he stated there was no shortage of them this year and that they should have a healthy supply of pellets into April...

Glosta said:
I'm with littlesmokey. Once the Box stores set EDLP pricing on "seasaonl items", they practically never increase the retail that same season.

Given the current inventory in some of these box stores (20+ pallets still stacked in the rafters), I wouldn't be surprised if we see $162.00 - $172.00 per ton ($3.24 - $3.44 per bag) in the next 3-4 weeks here in New England.
I agree,Somerset pellets were $179 a ton in the Local Menards store Jan 2nd.coobie

Blazers for 187.00 a ton.Normal price is 199.00. Thats in Coeur d'Alene. Idaho. Homedepot.

coobie said:
Glosta said:
I'm with littlesmokey. Once the Box stores set EDLP pricing on "seasaonl items", they practically never increase the retail that same season.

Given the current inventory in some of these box stores (20+ pallets still stacked in the rafters), I wouldn't be surprised if we see $162.00 - $172.00 per ton ($3.24 - $3.44 per bag) in the next 3-4 weeks here in New England.
I agree,Somerset pellets were $179 a ton in the Local Menards store Jan 2nd.coobie

That would be interesting. Some credit cards offer 5% off home improvement store products starting in April. I wonder if any stock would be left by then.

I started out with 2 tons of Country Boy (Kentucky Mills) in mid November and now I am down to 1 ton and it seems like this is going to be a long cold winter. I am getting ready to pick up another 1 - 1.5 tons of pellets from HD at $187 a ton which is better than the $270 I paid in November.

I just tried 3 bags of Stove Chow from HD at $3.74 a bag and it burned pretty good. Very little dust (fines) in the bags, low amount of ash, and the heat output was good as well.

I tried 3 bags of Penningtons and found alot of dust in the bags (like while I am pouring it into the hopper, as opposed to being mostly at the bottom of the bag), the heat was good but left a considerable amount of ash.

I am getting ready to try 7 bags of Nations Choice which is suppose to be ultra low ash also sold at HD.

I already went through 1 ton of Country Boy which was excellent but run about $5.40 a bag, so I am looking for alternatives.

rpuerto said:
I started out with 2 tons of Country Boy (Kentucky Mills) in mid November and now I am down to 1 ton and it seems like this is going to be a long cold winter. I am getting ready to pick up another 1 - 1.5 tons of pellets from HD at $187 a ton which is better than the $270 I paid in November.

I just tried 3 bags of Stove Chow from HD at $3.74 a bag and it burned pretty good. Very little dust (fines) in the bags, low amount of ash, and the heat output was good as well.

I tried 3 bags of Penningtons and found alot of dust in the bags (like while I am pouring it into the hopper, as opposed to being mostly at the bottom of the bag), the heat was good but left a considerable amount of ash.

I am getting ready to try 7 bags of Nations Choice which is
suppose to be ultra low ash also sold at HD.

I already went through 1 ton of Country Boy which was excellent but run about $5.40 a bag, so I am looking for alternatives.

Let me know what you think of nations choice. They don't burn very good for me. Alot of ash and little heat, maybe a bad batch.

Pellet-King said:
Idahokid said:
The prices are great out here compared to you guys on the east coast.I bought a ton of blazers yesterday from home depot for $187.We have a lot of hydro power here in Idaho.If pellets get to high we just turn on the electric heat.I think they know that here.We have everything electric.Are power bill was a tad over a hundred dollars.2100 square foot house.tank heaters for horses.Pellet stove.Hot water heater.Well pump.ect,ect.Inferno said once something about regional pricing.I think that is true.Happy new year.
Last month I used 1140 KWH, at a cost of $176.48. That is about 15.5 cents per KWH. We do not have electric hot water. We do have a well pump, 2 large aquariums, one freezer, and two media centers. Nearly all our lighting is CFU's. Do run the dishwasher daily and the clothes dryer about every other day. CMP to install "smart meters" within 18 months. Bought a Kil A Watt EZ tester and plan to put that into use use to try to figure out how two senior citizens can use so much electricity.

Wow. Some of you have really cheap pellet prices down there in the USA. I see $3.70-$4.00 per bag.
I've been burning pellets since we bought our Enviro Evolution stove 5 years ago (2005) and we started out paying around $4.20 per bag.
Then two years back when all the pellet producers ran dry, we were paying about $7.00-$8.00 a bag.
Now pellets here go for $6 per 40lb bag.
I ended up finding a place that sells for $4.95/bag and bought 100 bags(2 tonnes) this year.
We also have 13% sales and goods and services tax on everything here in Ontario, Canada, so that can add up fast.
There are never any sales on pellets here either. Even after burn season the left overs are sold at same prices as they were at the beginning of the season.
I figured that $420 including tax to heat my home with pellets this year is good.
Shop around is the name of the game.
Good Luck to All.
~Stan

save$ said:
Pellet-King said:
Idahokid said:
Last month I used 1140 KWH, at a cost of $176.48. That is about 15.5 cents per KWH. We do not have electric hot water. We do have a well pump, 2 large aquariums, one freezer, and two media centers. Nearly all our lighting is CFU's. Do run the dishwasher daily and the clothes dryer about every other day. CMP to install "smart meters" within 18 months. Bought a Kil A Watt EZ tester and plan to put that into use use to try to figure out how two senior citizens can use so much electricity.

Wow, that is a lot of power for 1 month and 2 people. I was using about 4KW/day or 120KW/month until the roommate moved in. Then it went to around 12KW/day. That is, they use 3 times the amount I used. So I guess it depends on how conservative one is on using power. They also use 3 times the amount of gas for water heating and clothes drying.
I never use the dishwasher because I feel hand cleaning does a better job, have a 1/2HP well pump, and gas dryer.
What is a smart meter? Something can't be right. I can't see how two people use that much electricity. My average cost here is around 19 cents per KWH lately.

Still waiting for the big box stores to drop the pellet prices again............

Once they drop another 10% at HD/Lowes from the 187, I will bring in my 10% coupon and get the 151 ton/3.02 a bag and stock up for next year or at least the first 1/2 of next year

coobie said:
Glosta said:

dmaclaren said:
Once they drop another 10% at HD/Lowes from the 187, I will bring in my 10% coupon and get the 151 ton/3.02 a bag and stock up for next year or at least the first 1/2 of next year

coobie said:
Glosta said:

Wasn't the last price drop about 15% ? What month in 2010 did HD and Lowe's drop the price to 187/ton? Was it back in October?

dmaclaren said:

coobie said:
Glosta said:

I will pick up 3 more tons if prices drop that low and use another 10% off coupon.
IMHO anything under $200 is a good price if they are decent pellets.

FYI for you guys on the North Shore of Mass, HD Danvers just got a fresh shipment of Stove Chow. Same $187 as the Freedom Fuel and Firesides.

One thing about the great state of Idaho is we don't pay tax on our pellets.

Idahokid said:
One thing about the great state of Idaho is we don't pay tax on our pellets.

Neither do we in Mass.......

Connecticut has no tax on pellets. ;-)

I found a deal on Ozark Hardwood Pellets for 127.00 a ton fresh off the truck. I really didn't like the more involved cleaning compared to the rocky mountain pellets I burned last year but I am dumping a lot of ash from the first ton of Pro pellets and it isn't killing me. I paid 205.00 a ton for the pro pellets. I am not a big fan of OHP's at 3.85 a bag but at 2.54 per bag?

What would you do?

swung by a lowes while out today. it wasnt in my local neighborhood but in a more upscale area anyway they were selling presto pellets for $6 a bag!!!!!! couldnt believe my eyes. i had just bought a couple to try 2 weeks ago at my local home depot for $3 a bag. wasnt sure if it was the area of the store or what but they are crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.