Pellet stove not feeding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kymm

Feb 28, 2019
Rushville, Oh
We moved our pellet stove to change the base (previous homeowners put two by fours under the mat, we put it on tile). When we moved it back it won't fire up. It's a Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 stove. The fan will come on but it won't feed pellets and then it shuts down. I have checked all the connections, cleaned out where the auger is, and blown out the tube for the vacuum switch. I have also checked pipe that goes to the outside and it is secure. Anyone have any ideas before I pay someone to come look at it?

When you plug it in does the combustion blower start running? Is it on a thermostat?

Reactions: kappel15
Yes it will run, the light is on. I even put some pellets in the hopper to see if it would light but after about 10 minutes the fan turned off.

how much is SOME pellets? my cb1200 has to have at least 5lb or it wont feed right. and if the auger tube was emptied it may take 3-4 resets before it gets enough in the shaft to feed properly

Last edited:
Reactions: kappel15
Sorry, I meant to say I put some in the pot. There is about 5 inches in the hopper. But it didn’t move at all. I don’t think the auger motor is working. I’m just not sure why it’s not working.

How long has it been since the stove has been thoroughly cleaned? Ash box behind the fire wall? Combustion blower and housing? Exhaust vent pipe? Ash pan tight and locked?

I cleaned it all out when we moved it. I’ll double check the ash pan but I vacuumed out everywhere I could find. I’m actually afraid I knocked something loose in the back when I vacuumed. But I’ve checked all the snap disks I can reach without moving it again. Also when we had the vent pipe exposed I vacuumed it and ran a dryer vent brush in as far as I could go and then vacuumed again.

Unplug the stove and pull the control box out and reseat it. You could of jiggled it loose. Then plug stove back in and see how it goes. Remember like Ssyko said, if you had emptied hopper and vacuumed out the auger tube, it will take hitting the reset button a few times, to fill the auger tube back up with fuel. Double check to see if igniter is getting hot also as with that handful in pot, it should of started a fire. If things still don't work, try jumping the vac switch wires together, making sure not to ground them out on stove. See how it goes. Also make sure the firepot thermocouple is touching the inside end of the cover and is also good. kap

Ok I will try these. I know I had a green light in the control box the last time I checked it. I do wonder about the thermocouple. I'll check that as well. Do you know if there is an igniter in the back of these? I wonder if I knocked something loose in the back that I can't reach now that it is back in place against the fire place when I vacuumed it.

Pull the ashpan and look in opening. You will see your igniter right in front of firepot,in housing