Pellet Supply Atlantic Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Pete.

Not sure if the price went up or not...I paid for mine back in September. When my Father-in-Law picked up some bags for us a couple of weeks ago, I think he paid 5.49 (at home depot)

This is my second year using the pellet stove tied into my furnace. Very impressed with the performance last year and cut my heat cost to less than 1500 in this 2 story home. I still have about 60 bags left here and called a local supplier only to find out there is a waiting list there. I would like to get about 200 bags and can't believe how we are being made to pay these high prices when furnace oil is .78 a liter. I suspect there will be a bit of a backlash if oil stays down and some revert back to the oil furnace for a period of time. Supply and demand I guess. The furnace will use about 8 liters a day on oil and I have been running 1 bag a day for pellets in this mild weather. So if furnace oil stays under .80 and pellets are 6.00 a bag, the cost is about the same.
Having said that, I do love the even heat of the pellet stove and would love to set up a bulk bin in the basement if we could get a supplier to fill it. There is enough of us in the area to show a demand and the bulk is the way to go on a furnace or pellet/existing furnace setup. Meanwhile, great board and will keep looking for a couple pallets even if I have to pay 6.00 a bag

Good to have you sign on! We have electric baseboards installed from the energy switch grant program some years ago and I have to keep in mind that it is still a cheap form of energy @ approx 9 cents per kwh plus service charges,but I have installed programmable thermostats to control that as well. The pellets make a good part of the overall package....last year the graph on the energy bill took quite a dip! Just slightly above summertime use...

Yes.. I have been using a combination this year, especially now, with furnace oil at 78 cents a liter. Spoke to Lyford's Stove Shop and they have lots of both energex and cozy pellets. 6.00 a bag US. That would be about 8.00 Cdn then if you get more that 50.00 or so you will have to pay another 13% HST. So pretty pricey at almost 10.00 a bag by the time you get them across the border. Whatever happened to the 4.50 bag of pellets? It appears they will soon price themselves out of a market. I know costs have gone up but oil is now back to 2004 levels so let's get the price of pellets back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.