pellet test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooper81

Jan 17, 2012
U.P Michigan
Last night at work I decided to "test" the 2 brands of pellet I find to work best for me. Somerset and Indeck energy. 10gr each went into a 900' C oven for 1 hr. End result was that the Somerset produced 1.2% more fines and fillers (ash) than did the Indeck energy pellet. Highly UN-scientific, but interesting non-the-less

I have tested both brands. My test consists of similar weather, running stove on stove temp., clean stove, etc. I found that the somerset must have put out more heat as I had more pellets left after an 8 hour burn, for example. I do think the Indeck are a good pellet though. If given a choice between the two, I would have to pick the somerset over the Indeck.

Yeah have been bouncing back and forth between the 2 and I also start out with a clean stove. My results show the indeck to be a bit cleaner and much hotter with the exact conditions, I had much more heat with the Indeck pellet. My thermometer maxed out past 600' in the box and was throwing 250'+ out with the fan on low. The somerset was far less under the same conditions. They are noticeably different pellets from a color and scent standpoint. The Indecks are a darker pellet with a much different scent and I am pretty sure I know why. The 2 come from very different raw materials. The bottom line for me is the price. Both very good, $$ wins every time, AND they are a Wisconsin product, so unless their quality goes to sh!t I will be stock piling the indeck energy pellet for the 2012/2013 winter.

To be fair, there wasn't a substantial difference in my results either. Stove variation is another variable. Indeck are at every TSC around here. I wonder I how much they vary batch to batch though. If I was out of pellets, I would buy Indeck today. Also, how do the Vulcan wood pellets burn? What other brands do you get up there?

I have somerset, Indeck, wood fibers inc., American WF, vulcan, and penington(Walmart).... Not a great selection. If I wanted to drive a 80 mile radius I could expand my selection quite a bit. Vulcans were real good at first but not so much any more from what I hear. Never burned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.