Pelletsales.com: $343.00 per ton for "Fall" Delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
This was for returning customers only, not new customers who would not be offered fuel. Fall delivery means July-October. Holy ravioli batman, that is nuts.

Well, if that is the price - and according to my info Pelletsales does not gouge - they just mark up a small amount from the maker, then this means bad tidings. Heck, I would personally refuse to burn pellets at that price.....maybe a bag here and there, but certainly not for actual heat.

I just looked as well and I did not see prices that high with delivery.

The shipping costs vary depending on where you are and how much you order.
Delivery costs are gonna kill you no matter who you order from this year.

I saw Cleanfire- 4ton = $285.00 a ton includes delivery.

I am already set for the coming season myself, but I hope this year
will not be a repeat of 2005

LEES WOOD-CO said:
HMMMMMMM!!!!! NO, not yet !

NO! Someone is just playing 'Chicken Little'. It is NOT time to say, "I.................................

On a similar note (since you chimed in), I heard from someone in the logging business the other day, that saw dust was going for $75/ton in our region. Now that is more then the $40/ton you have previously mentioned, but I have no idea if $75 is even enough to make it worth while. Is it?

No chicken little here ! I said ,and I quote "$300+/ton with the possibility of shortages." We're there already !!!!! It's only June and the lumber markets are still in the shitter with no signs of relief and the forecloser stats are not predicted to peak till mid 09 ! If oil remains high I'm willing to bet by fall of 09 you'll see $420+/ton!

Doesn't matter what it is worth. It's what the market will bear.

No sign of shortages in my area.
Other than the rising costs of delivery due to fuel, it is business as usual.

tinkabranc said:
No sign of shortages in my area.
Other than the rising costs of delivery due to fuel, it is business as usual.

Wait till current (already purchased )inventories are depleted !

You can still get pellets in Maine for $219.00 a ton at a place called Dysarts up near Bangor Maine. I already have enough pellets to get me through the year sitting in my shed but will probably pick up one more ton just to have it.

murry said:
My father just baught a pellet stove three weeks ago and also pre ordered pellets with the stove. We live in norteast Pennsylvania and he got the pellets for $200.00 a ton.

Buy a stove get a deal on pellets!

Webmaster said:
Heck, I would personally refuse to burn pellets at that price
.....maybe a bag here and there, but certainly not for actual heat.

I'm guessing you have something other than oil for a backup heat
source then....... My oil guy wants $4.53 a gallon as I type this. If things
follow the same pattern as last year, that figure is only going to go up.
I can foresee HHO costing over $5 a gallon as soon as that first cold snap hits.
Doing the math, the pellets in the $300 range look pretty good if oil costs over 5 bux a gallon.
Converting my house to natural gas isn't an option at this point so I have to work with what I've got.

I have nat gas, which is equiv to about oil at $2.50 or pellets at about $230......not counting the stove cost, service, etc.

The problem is, of course, that what really matters in most cases is the price of oil during the heating seasons....and somewhat the same with pellets. I would not suggest anyone load up with oil at $5 nor with Pellets at $300+. In the case of the pellets, it's because they aren't worth that, in the case of oil I think it will be available for under that price (well under) during the winter.

Webmaster said:
I would not suggest anyone load up with oil at $5 nor with Pellets at $300+. In the case of the pellets, it's because they aren't worth that, in the case of oil I think it will be available for under that price (well under) during the winter.

Yep. Wellhead costs haven't gone up and refining costs are actually down on a per barrel basis with the throughput and the cost saving measures the refiners have implemented over the last few years. When that festering bubble in the middle pops it is going to be interesting.

A lot of financial geniuses with high dollar futures contracts figuratively stacked on their desks are going to loose their dumb asses. Every person that ever thought they would make a killing in commodities has looked at opening a thirty story window at least once in their life.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
murry said:
My father just baught a pellet stove three weeks ago and also pre ordered pellets with the stove. We live in norteast Pennsylvania and he got the pellets for $200.00 a ton.

Buy a stove get a deal on pellets!

You couldn`t pay me enough to buy a pellet stove at this time. Price of CSD is going way up, and the price of pellets is gonna sky rocket even more. Believe it or not? I actually had a dummy today say that wood heat (pellets and firewood) should be going down cause there is no market for wood. Duh= no market for wood means no processing, so no pellets, and not much firewood. Or a minimum production for both. which = supply and demand. which = higher prices.

It is unbelilevable how stunned some people are as regards supply and demand,specially when you look at the whole chain. They are simply too stupid or naive to understand that a chink in the chain, or worse, mutiple kinks in the chain, is just total disruption. :roll:

Webmaster said:
I have nat gas, which is equiv to about oil at $2.50 or pellets at about $230......not counting the stove cost, service, etc.

The problem is, of course, that what really matters in most cases is the price of oil during the heating seasons....and somewhat the same with pellets. I would not suggest anyone load up with oil at $5 nor with Pellets at $300+. In the case of the pellets, it's because they aren't worth that, in the case of oil I think it will be available for under that price (well under) during the winter.
are you locked in to that price for natgas?

I secured my pellet supply for this yr. back in April, but just out of curiosity
after seeing this thread I just looked and indeed I got
a price for the minimum of 2 tons delivered to my home
in the Stoughton - Randolph area. Holy cat poop batman!
Here are the stats:

Wood Pellets (Premium) Premier Pellet Fall Delivery (Jul - Oct) 2 $360.04
Price would be ten dollars less if paid by check.

ugenetoo said:

Even better! I own nat gas stocks and ETF's, etc. which will pay for all my heat just in dividends, let alone that they will go up. In the 4 years I have been here, including the crisis of Katrina (big run up in pricing), the average per therm price has been $1.50 approx.

If it goes up to $2.50, as I expect, it will still be cheap - furnaces is 90+ percent efficient and house is relatively new and tight. Current cost for the coldest month in Ma winter about $250, or the same as a ton of pellets.

For that I get 3 zone heat, gas hot water (lots), cooking and our gas dryer. Given 2500+ square feet, I doubt I could do that with a ton of pellets.

There are no safe bets, but you can hedge bets......I also have a pellet stove in the shop, and some bags of pellets there...

BTW, utilities do lock in prices for nat gas (their supply), although I have not inquired as to whether my local one has done so.

Here's one for you - we bought 33 cubic yards of mulch today from a local logging outfit.....expensive! I think they get $35+ per cubic yard.

The truck which brought is - my guess - may have held 8 tons. That means they received $150 a ton for green wood. It does not take too much math to see that such an operation would not make much if they used the same wood for pellets.....

Take that 8 tons - use 1 ton to generate the heat to dry the other 7.
Drying the other 7, results in about 5 or less of dry material.
Spend tens of millions on a plant.
End up with 5 tons bagged after all that.......

If you followed this far, you would understand that they received over $200 a ton for those 5 (dry) tons from me for mulch! So how much would they have to sell the finished pellets for to pay for the plant and manufacturing and the middlemen? Well, I guess about $350 in this case!

I don't doubt that there will be lots of decent deals regionally for pellets....heck, some people are still paying $200 or even less. But the market rules, and where the product can be sold as other things - from mulch to particle board - the highest price will prevail. There is no other possibility.

Webmaster said:
ugenetoo said:

Even better! I own nat gas stocks and ETF's, etc. which will pay for all my heat just in dividends, let alone that they will go up. In the 4 years I have been here, including the crisis of Katrina (big run up in pricing), the average per therm price has been $1.50 approx.

If it goes up to $2.50, as I expect, it will still be cheap - furnaces is 90+ percent efficient and house is relatively new and tight. Current cost for the coldest month in Ma winter about $250, or the same as a ton of pellets.

For that I get 3 zone heat, gas hot water (lots), cooking and our gas dryer. Given 2500+ square feet, I doubt I could do that with a ton of pellets.

There are no safe bets, but you can hedge bets......I also have a pellet stove in the shop, and some bags of pellets there...

BTW, utilities do lock in prices for nat gas (their supply), although I have not inquired as to whether my local one has done so.

can you buy enough ahead at the current price to heat your home for the winter?

Webmaster said:
Here's one for you - we bought 33 cubic yards of mulch today from a local logging outfit.....expensive! I think they get $35+ per cubic yard.

The truck which brought is - my guess - may have held 8 tons. That means they received $150 a ton for green wood. It does not take too much math to see that such an operation would not make much if they used the same wood for pellets.....

Take that 8 tons - use 1 ton to generate the heat to dry the other 7.
Drying the other 7, results in about 5 or less of dry material.
Spend tens of millions on a plant.
End up with 5 tons bagged after all that.......

If you followed this far, you would understand that they received over $200 a ton for those 5 (dry) tons from me for mulch! So how much would they have to sell the finished pellets for to pay for the plant and manufacturing and the middlemen? Well, I guess about $350 in this case!

I don't doubt that there will be lots of decent deals regionally for pellets....heck, some people are still paying $200 or even less. But the market rules, and where the product can be sold as other things - from mulch to particle board - the highest price will prevail. There is no other possibility.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!

Lets not forget about bedding to farmers which is usually sold locally ,within 20 miles of a mill .

I would think that if there was no place that wanted wood for lumber, then there would be a glut on the market for pellets. Why would you not sell your product if there was a market that wanted your product , even if it was not the market you used to sell to.

Status
Not open for further replies.