Performed surgery on my new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Found another reason why this stove runs crazy. Pulled the jackets off the sides just for shots and giggles and found 3 more unregulated secondary holes on each side. I got some magnets I'm gonna play around with to see If I can get this thing to run with no damper. On a side note I always thought I saw smoke running out of the jacket on while I was loading and figured it was coming out the front door and working its way over there. Nope. Those 6 holes pour smoke when the door is open

View attachment 307882
it makes no apparent sense. the jackets you removed should produce convection, i.e. heating and pushing air, with the holes the convection is damaged. Was this stove new?

Ok so mild night tonight. 40f. Blocked off 3 of the six holes hidden underneath jacket. Overall i have probably blocked of 80% of air that this stove could breath in its (low burn) setting. I truly don't know how they didn't literally melt the stoves when they tested this design. Stove is running exactly how I want now finally. I have primary open maybe 10% to keep flue temps up right now. So when it gets real cold again it should be about perfect with primary all the way closed. I still have the dampers just in case. Stt at 630 flue surface at 235 nice lazy secondaries.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Ok so mild night tonight. 40f. Blocked off 3 of the six holes hidden underneath jacket. Overall i have probably blocked of 80% of air that this stove could breath in its (low burn) setting. I truly don't know how they didn't literally melt the stoves when they tested this design. Stove is running exactly how I want now finally. I have primary open maybe 10% to keep flue temps up right now. So when it gets real cold again it should be about perfect with primary all the way closed. I still have the dampers just in case. Stt at 630 flue surface at 235 nice lazy secondaries.
Keep in mind when flue temps get below 250 creosote will form in the chimney. Especially if the wood isn’t dry enough.

If that 235* pipe temp is external (and I think it is) then it's fine

Oh I thought it was single wall

This is single wall surface temp. At 18" so interior is probably 300 to 500f I've always heard 30 to 50% higher than surface reading

This is single wall surface temp. At 18" so interior is probably 300 to 500f I've always heard 30 to 50% higher than surface reading
I thought that was for double wall but I’m probably confused. Carry on!

At 235* on singlewall surface you are probably 475* ish internal...that'll do...

I ran the loads last night and tonight with the jackets off. Ran great. Put the jackets back on and I think it made the remaining open holes draft harder. It wasn't running away but hotter than what I would like with full air shutdown. So I covered a 4th hole partway into tonight's burn. She seems to run really well there. One good thing about this stove is that it always makes pretty secondaries that last a long long time. Dampers all the way open tonight. I suspect when really cold weather returns she'll be running with 1 closed but that's ok. 20230117_191532.jpg 20230117_191537.jpg

Attachments

• 20230117_191553.mp4
    13.8 MB