PESONAL PLEA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you removed the control box and re-installed? The weird start behaviour makes it sound like the box has a bad connection. I would try that before looking for a new box.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking caps off. That's considered shouting (so much of a convention in forums like this that when I read your earlier posts, I was flinching).

I for one can understand the urgency--I was on here last night doing the same thing because it's getting cold and my only source of heat was down.

I don't have the wisdom to share on the controls, but I am going to make the same suggestion about a surge protector. I just lost my boiler last week (which is why having my wood stove not working was getting me nervous) and boiler repairman said that he'd had a score of them go down after a recent ice storm, due to surges and brownouts. He said the electronic controls are more energy efficient, but the trade-off is that they're more susceptible to failing or fussing from irregular power supplies.

Didn't know that then, but I'm telling everyone I know about this so they can decide for themselve. I think it's worth at the very least having a surge-protector strip. I"m going for the full battery back-up system (like they sell for computers) if and when I get a new boiler. I realize this suggestion doesn't help much now, but thought you'd perhaps want to file that thought away.

Something else to consider? One of the other posters brought this up, but given the circumstances that you've described (having made more than a few trips around the sun, living in a remote-ish region, being subject to the vagaries of mountain weather), might you not want to consider having a back-up plan to heat your house? And especially consider a secondary heating system that is not dependent upon having electricity? Could de-stress this situation a lot. (Until you're like I was last night, and your secondary source of heat gives you trouble. Then it's okay to panic. Not that it helps.)

Just a suggestion.

Thanks all,
I gambled on leaving it on all night because it seemed to be starting a new cycle even though the blower kept running.
I was hoping it would do no harm.
However, the next time I looked at it, the firepot was completely full of pellets and the feed tube backed up with pellets. Fortunately no fire or apparent further damage (yet). This is the first time that this particular malfunction occurred. So I guess I don't have the option of running it until the problem is solved. I am down to thinking of taking the control box apart. I won't know what I'm looking for (I do have an wiring schematic for the overall stove).
What is a "triac" and a "comb"? Does anyone have any more advice before I dive into that control box?
I'll let you all know the result.
Thanks again
Greg

Thanks wonderful people - the stove has -at least temporarily- burned me out!
One problem turns into another and i have just about given up.
I wont really, but i have taken a couple of twenty degree days off. I have removed control box, will send photos and latest symptoms. We are in intensive care, and I will be stronger tomorrow. Getting depressed is stupid but sometimes hard to fight.
Please bear with me and thanks, thanks, thanks for your care and wisdom.
I'll pick up again tomorrow.
Sincerely
Greg

I think, if I were you, I would spring for a new control box/ see if your dealer will swap yours out in one of his units/ or see if a friend or fellow poster is close enough to you to swap boxes to confirm it is bad. Digging into the control box without the proper knowledge and skill set will only get you even more frustrated.

Another option, if you can spare being without the stove, would be to send the box to TurboTech, if he would be willing to test and fix for a reasonable price. It might even set him up for a side business. I'm sure the time will come when one of mine craps out!

I think the best advice at this point is what tjnamtiw posted. PM me if you can't find someone to swap with or a dealer to test. I would definitely look at it and repair, but it takes me longer due to shipping and getting replacement parts. I have asked around at some shops on the web to find one that is broken and needs to be repaired to send to you, but so far I haven't had any luck finding one.

I have a lead on a control box that needs a repair for the quadrafire 1000. I will let you know what develops.

Back when I had my 1000 there was a tester control box. you would take out the box and put this in its place and then you could switch on and off
the different systems. Might see if a dealer at least has that.....good luck!

Just when I was about to despair, an angel arrived in my life, and as a "pass it on " gesture offered me a fully functional Quad 1000 that she had repaired. She wanted $500 and I had to decline, and later she decided to simply gift us. This is not taken for granted but is the "way of the west" practiced in only a few rare communities. We are blessed in Salmon/Challis Idaho to live that kind of a generous, sharing, watch out for your neighbor life.
I am still going to try to repair the Quad I have so that I might pass it on. You will hear from me again and I hope I may be helpful to someone out there as you have been so wonderefully helpful to me and my family.
The kind communal spirit I refer to is alive with you all!
Bless and thank you.
Greg

What a wonderful thing to do! I thought that America as I know it was dead but it is alive and well in Idaho!

Status
Not open for further replies.