Pferd 2 in1 sharpener Christmas gift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
I received a Pferd 2 in 1 sharpener for Christmas. It's exactly like the Stihl and I'm sure it was purchased on Amazon. I've always touched up my chains with hand files but the tendonitis and arthritis really makes it painful some days. I've used the Dremel with the guide and it works well but my Dremel has a cord. I tried out the Pferd sharpener yesterday and it's pretty good. The way you hold it makes it easier on my hands and wrist. It does make it simple as it files the rakers down at the same time as you file the teeth. I clamp my saw in a vise when I file which makes it easier for me. It is kind of pricey which is why I never bought one but I will say it works good and it is easy to hold the angle with it.

I gave one and a Stihl 041 saw to a buddy twelve years ago for a house warming gift when he moved to a acreage and he is still using it today. He loves it. I just run my chains threw a grinder. I don't do any hand filing.

I've got a grinder too but I don't use it unless I damage the chain more than I want to file.

Reactions: cahaak
I have both a Stihl and Pferd ...great tool ...your chains will be sharper for sure.... ==c

Those are great sharpeners. The only issue I've had with one of mine is the flat file has come loose and kind of floats around while I use it. I can't figure a way to re-seat it so it may be time for a new one.

I remember hearing that as the teeth are sharpened and change in length, with the 2-1 the ratio of cut depth changes. I can't seem to find anything to reference that again. I'll have to measure some old and new chains to see if there is any truth to it. Some guys only sharpen the rakers when the cut indicates it's needed.

Those are great sharpeners. The only issue I've had with one of mine is the flat file has come loose and kind of floats around while I use it. I can't figure a way to re-seat it so it may be time for a new one.
I'd put a dab of silicon on it. it would hold it but it wouldn't be permanent.