Piazzetta firmware and feedrates...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's why I ran the test today, here it's single digits. Running P5 constant is comfortable. If it were warmer, I'd have to open windows, just like you.

I'd try runing the test at P4 and see if that matches up to a 38k btu burn, because that's what it's supposed to be extrapolated if P5 is 47k. P4 constant should last 8hrs and 40mins.
I'm about halfway through and the sun has gone down so I'll keep going. It also gives me a chance to test 2 different brands of pellets in more of a controlled experiment rather than casually like I've been doing.

I'm on pace for 4.25lbs per hour or 34000BTU. I found a reference from the National Fuel Gas Code that states:
"For elevations above 4,500 feet, input ratings should be reduced 4 percent for each 1,000 feet above sea level."

Being over 7000ft this is right inline with what my stove is able to produce. My elevation equates to a 28% reduction from the stated BTU of a pellet stove. In this case the stove can only produce up to 34000BTU. That Minerva stove is looking better with each passing hour. But amazingly enough at 2400sqft I can maintain 70::F inside even during a cold snap of negative temps. I guess that new insulation in the roof really did pay off.

Reactions: chken
I'm on pace for 4.25lbs per hour or 34000BTU. I found a reference from the National Fuel Gas Code that states:
"For elevations above 4,500 feet, input ratings should be reduced 4 percent for each 1,000 feet above sea level."

Being over 7000ft this is right inline with what my stove is able to produce. My elevation equates to a 28% reduction from the stated BTU of a pellet stove. In this case the stove can only produce up to 34000BTU. That Minerva stove is looking better with each passing hour. But amazingly enough at 2400sqft I can maintain 70::F inside even during a cold snap of negative temps. I guess that new insulation in the roof really did pay off.
Must always be tough having to figure out altitude affects on everything. My brother has a ski house at Mammoth Mtn, CA and that's up there in elevation as well, but they have a gas furnace. One year, I visited, there was a blizzard that dropped so much snow the SUV we drove up in was covered. Of course, how does that relate to heating, well the air intake on the gas furnace was blocked by snow, which shut it down, even though it was well above the garage door!

Ran my 2nd "P5 constant" test on one bag of super premium softwood LGs, and it lasted exactly 8 hrs! Just like yesterday. So, 5 lbs/hr max, and not 5.7 lbs/hr for 47k btu. I may try a P4 constant test tomorrow.

Ran my 2nd "P5 constant" test on one bag of super premium softwood LGs, and it lasted exactly 8 hrs! Just like yesterday. So, 5 lbs/hr max, and not 5.7 lbs/hr for 47k btu. I may try a P4 constant test tomorrow.
Have you tried increasing the feed rate and combustion blower speed? You may be able to get a larger BTU output/hr.

Yep. Gotta love Mammoth. Our local ski resort is 10 min from my house. I moved from the eastern mountains of San Diego a few years back to the "East Mountains" of NM and there was an adjustment period. Not only in altitude but also culture and ocean withdrawal.

Have you tried increasing the feed rate and combustion blower speed? You may be able to get a larger BTU output/hr.

Yep. Gotta love Mammoth. Our local ski resort is 10 min from my house. I moved from the eastern mountains of San Diego a few years back to the "East Mountains" of NM and there was an adjustment period. Not only in altitude but also culture and ocean withdrawal.
No, not yet. I'll do the P4 constant test tomorrow, hopefully. We're supposed to get another foot of snow! After that, I'll think about adjusting the feed rates, and then optimize the air.

So, is east mtns of NM near Taos? I've always lived somewhere near water, so yes, I imagine it would be hard to live away from it. My house is now only 15 feet from a frozen lake, and last year, at this time, I had just finished rebuilding a stone pier. This year is much colder already with at least 6 inches of ice.

So, is east mtns of NM near Taos? I've always lived somewhere near water, so yes, I imagine it would be hard to live away from it. My house is now only 15 feet from a frozen lake, and last year, at this time, I had just finished rebuilding a stone pier.

It's comprised of the Sandia Mountain, Manzano Mountain, Sedillo Hill and surrounding areas east of Albuquerque. The ski resort is on Sandia. I live on top of Sedillo hill. Taos is in the Enchanted Circle 3hrs north of Albuquerque. Taos skiing is a hidden treasure that New Mexicans would rather keep local.

Wow you've done a lot of your own work on that property. Sounds like good ice fishing conditions to me.

It's comprised of the Sandia Mountain, Manzano Mountain, Sedillo Hill and surrounding areas east of Albuquerque. The ski resort is on Sandia. I live on top of Sedillo hill. Taos is in the Enchanted Circle 3hrs north of Albuquerque. Taos skiing is a hidden treasure that New Mexicans would rather keep local.

Wow you've done a lot of your own work on that property. Sounds like good ice fishing conditions to me.
Yeah, I've heard of Al's Run, and isn't Taos the gem that seems like the main slope comes right down to Main St? I've skiied at plenty of places, but never Taos. I think the problem is that I don't know anyone there. I usually go to Tahoe, Mammoth and Utah when I ski out West.

Last winter I stacked the blocks of ice I cut out of the lake, for my fishing hole and made an igloo for the kids.

So, my P4 constant test didn't run ten hours as I was expecting, but 9 hrs and 15mins. There may have been more pellets in the hopper when I stopped than usual. Usually opening and closing the lid, checking how low it's getting triggers little pebble avalanches. I didn't do that today.

Anyhow, I decided to fiddle with the feed settings today, given how cold it's been. I thought perhaps a little extra heat from the box can't be bad?

Based upon the Power5, 7.6sec feed rate giving me 8hrs of burn time and 41k btus, I decided to up the Power5 feed rate to 8.7secs. Lo and behold, even though the manual says you can adjust up to 12 secs, it actually only goes up to 8.2secs. Likewise Power4 maxes out at 7.0 secs, and Power 3 maxes out at 6.0 secs. Power 2 maxes out at 5.0 secs, but I set it for 4.7secs, and I didn't touch Power 1, but that maxes at 4.0 secs.

I had estimated my combustion rates ahead of time and punched them in, and then when I turned the stove on tonite, I measured the pressure readings. Interestingly they all were in range:

P1 / 3.3secs / 1850rpm / 0.24-0.25
P2 / 4.7secs / 2000rpm / 0.27-0.28
P3 / 6.0secs / 2150rpm / 0.29-0.32
P4 / 7.0secs / 2300rpm / 0.34-0.35
P5 / 8.2secs / 2450rpm / 0.38-0.40

Flame looks good. Stove temp in P3 is 222degrees. Tomorrow, I'll check to make sure P4 and P5 temps don't get too high.

Oh, I did check the pellet feed chute gap when I cleaned it over the weekend and the bottom lip appears to need some hi-temp sealant. I couldn't feel any air entering, but I'll pick some 700deg stuff up this week, if I don't forget.

Reactions: EastMtn
Day after feed rate changes and everything looks good. Given the warmish temps, mid-20s, I can't really do a constant P4 or P5 test to check my new feed rate. Next Tuesday, when temps drop to the single digits, I may be able to test P4 and P5 constant.

Day after feed rate changes and everything looks good. Given the warmish temps, mid-20s, I can't really do a constant P4 or P5 test to check my new feed rate. Next Tuesday, when temps drop to the single digits, I may be able to test P4 and P5 constant.

Interesting that you can't take the feed rate up to 12. I think that you'll be able to get 5.9 lbs/hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.