Picked up a nice trailer load for free today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Can't beat free hardwood!

Attachments

• Picked up a nice trailer load for free today!
    P5020041.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 867
No you can't...heat your home all week in the dead of winter with that load and all it cost you was your labor.

savageactor7 said:
No you can't...heat your home all week in the dead of winter with that load and all it cost you was your labor.

Mostly agreed... I'm betting almost three weeks. :)

savageactor7 said:
...and all it cost you was your labor.
and the truck, and the trailer, and the gas, and the insurance, and, and, and...

LLigetfa said:
savageactor7 said:
...and all it cost you was your labor.
and the truck, and the trailer, and the gas, and the insurance, and, and, and...

I've always had a truck, the trailer gets used for wood and the race car, the insurance would be needed if I hauled wood or not, I paid about 15 bucks for gas and I work for free when working for myself. So I figure it cost me 15 bucks. :) The trailer is 16'x7'x2' feet and it was a pretty full load. I figure it'll be well over a cord close to two when split.

rdust said:
I've always had a truck, the trailer gets used for wood and the race car, the insurance would be needed if I hauled wood or not, I paid about 15 bucks for gas and I work for free when working for myself. So I figure it cost me 15 bucks. :) The trailer is 16'x7'x2' feet and it was a pretty full load. I figure it'll be well over a cord close to two when split.

Amen brother.... I wish someone would pay me to watch TV, cut my grass, clean my gutters, work on my truck, ect................

Rdust,

That looks a lot like the wood I've been getting for free. Were you anywhere near the Ann Arbor / Chelsea area? Either way, great score.

schortie said:
Rdust,

That looks a lot like the wood I've been getting for free. Were you anywhere near the Ann Arbor / Chelsea area? Either way, great score.

This was on the east side, st clair shores. I believe it was a chestnut tree....

Whew, I thought someone found my stash. It looked like white oak from the pic, but I'm certainly no expert. Still a great score.

schortie said:
Whew, I thought someone found my stash. It looked like white oak from the pic, but I'm certainly no expert. Still a great score.
I was thinking red oak. Nice score! What kind of racing do you do?

Bigcube said:
Nice score! What kind of racing do you do?

Really just play around at the local drag strips, pretty much just test n tuning and some bracket racing from time to time. I've raced some of the true street type races in the past but not nearly as much as I'd like.

Nice score on the oak. Looks like red oak to me.

rdust said:
Bigcube said:
Nice score! What kind of racing do you do?

Really just play around at the local drag strips, pretty much just test n tuning and some bracket racing from time to time. I've raced some of the true street type races in the past but not nearly as much as I'd like.
LOL me too, just a career test and tuner :)

joshlaugh said:
Nice score on the oak. Looks like red oak to me.

I'm pretty sure it's not red oak, the bark almost reminds me of shagbark hickory. I'll post a close up picture of a red oak split and this in a few...

Red oak split is on the left, wood from this load is on the right.

Attachments

P5030004.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 612
    P5030005.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 579
Sure looks like white oak to me as well. Nice find if so!

Wet1 said:
Sure looks like white oak to me as well. Nice find if so!

Good deal then, I knew it was a tree from the oak family just wasn't sure which one. The ground was littered with all the nuts but I didn't see any tops on the ground that I typically see with the acorns from white oaks.

looks like silver maple to me

smokinj said:
looks like silver maple to me
Agree. Looks much more like Maple to me, too. The bark color and shape is all wrong for White Oak. I should know, as we have 7-8 big ones in our ~1 acre yard.

Cluttermagnet said:
Agree. Looks much more like Maple to me, too. The bark color and shape is all wrong for White Oak. I should know, as we have 7-8 big ones in our ~1 acre yard.

The tree was a nut tree that is the reason it was removed. The person who had it taken down was older and didn't want to deal with the clean up anymore. It's hard stuff and will burn good so I'm fine with whatever it is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.