Picked up a splitter slow cycle issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know what release I need to open to bleed the air out? I've filled and re fitted the hoses hoping to fix the issue but need to know how to bleed the air now that I've refilled it there's lots of air in it.

Anybody know what release I need to open to bleed the air out? I've filled and re fitted the hoses hoping to fix the issue but need to know how to bleed the air now that I've refilled it there's lots of air in it.

The system will bleed itself of air by running the cylinder in and out.

Ok I did a have cord of wood with the splitter and cycle time is painfully slow still. It's slow forward and backward load or no load. What can I do to fix this? New fluid has been put in. Motor runs perfect....any help on adjusting this?

You said that it sounds noisy at the crankshaft and pump.Look at the connector and see if it has the rubber spider in there,and make sure connector is not loose on either shafts of the engine or motor.You might also get rid of that filter at the control valve,that might be cutting the flow down.Most splitters have filters on the suction side before the pump.

You said that it sounds noisy at the crankshaft and pump.Look at the connector and see if it has the rubber spider in there,and make sure connector is not loose on either shafts of the engine or motor.You might also get rid of that filter at the control valve,that might be cutting the flow down.Most splitters have filters on the suction side before the pump.
Ok, i think i will remove that filter and just connect it directly, I did not inspect it much when changing out my hydro fluid. The splitter was noisy at the crankshaft but that was prior to me changing fluid. At that point i was seeing bubbles. Currently i believe i have fixed the bubble issue as I do not see anymore bubbles. I pulled the lovejoy cover and everything looks fine, very little slop and watching it run during operation there is no slipage. not sure where the spider would be, is that inside the lovejoy? I replaced fittings and filled with new fluid and the bubbles and crank shaft noise have gone away. the pump, cylinder, and engine are all original to this manufacturer. I got this from the owner who bought it knew. He has not changed anything out except fabricating some more girth into certain portions.

Last edited:
Have not managed to fix the slow cycle issue. I can see hydro fluid throwing nicely in clear lines. Found a small leak in a pipe coming from control valve and going into the front block of the cylinder. Not sure why it does but it's slightly leaking fluid at that point.

Ok, i pulled the filter, off, this is a permanent filter not an auto filter type. It's pictured in my photos of the splitter onp age one. I disassembled and pulled the copper filter thing and noticed one of the o rings was rotted and was laying all throughout the filter. I have no clue where this o ring came from, but it was laying all over, after cleaning and blowing with air, i reassembled the filter, installed and got my full speed back. I'm thinking this filter is not ideal and may consider replacing it with one that can receive a replaceable auto style filter.

I am glad you found the problem.Since you cleaned that filter out and the screen,and you had already put new fluid in it,you will be alright to run it.

Thanks me too! I split for 2 hours this evening and got a heck of a lot done! I noticed when retracting I had some fluid spraying from overflow cap on resevoir. I either over filled or it was unlevel. Fluid was hot my leg! Good thing I had jeans on

Glad you did not burn your leg. That fluid gets real hot,and it just stays there on your skin.If their was any more problems with your splitter it would have showed up in the time you used it.

Good to know. The splitter has lots of power and I did notice a couple times with some big old hedge logs it would have a bit of flex in it before popping. I probably don't want to put some of these monster logs all there but I'm impressed it can even split them! It will literally push through anything! The only other thing I'm going to do is get the I beam bent back straight where it's curled up a bit. Ram slides fine but there's more play in the front where it's attached to the I beam than I want. The ram is also only attached on the rear so the play might be by design to allow it to move.

Ok, after about 10 more hours of use this past week or 2 I've got the same issue again. The fluid is no longer squirting out the overflow so i'm thinking it was maybe over filled. but.....it's slow again. I'm not positive if my filter got clogged again or what but i'm going to pull it and inspect. Does anybody have any recomendations for replacing this little copper mesh filter contraption on this splitter? I would love to be able to replace it with a standard oil filter typer or at least find something that will replace it directly, i'm having a tough time finding the exact replacement.

anyway to know what gpm i would need? i figured i could just buy lines.....if they have to be made that's a pain!

the only thing i know is if i pull the filter and clean the crud out, the problem is remedied. I'm gonna see if i can find a fitting to bypass the filter.

Most local parts stores have the capability of making hydraulic hoses.

Thanks guys. I may try to remove copper or brass filter in this housing and reinstall the filter housing without the filter. Then I can see how flow is affected.

he only thing i know is if i pull the filter and clean the crud out, the problem is remedied.
Wait...so if you clean the filter, everything works as normal? It doesn't sound like you have a filter problem (sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to), it sounds like you have a contamination problem.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Wait...so if you clean the filter, everything works as normal? It doesn't sound like you have a filter problem (sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to), it sounds like you have a contamination problem.

Those in-line filters have very little room for filtration. While he may have stuff in the tank, a larger filter should help.

My point was that the filter worked for a long time. Now something clogs the filter in short order. Replacing the filter doesn't fix the problem. A larger filter may prolong the time till trouble arises again, but filter clogging contamination needs to be remedied or it will just happen again (albeit with a longer time interval in between).
If I am getting my head wrapped around this properly, installing a larger filter is just a bandaid, not a solution. I could be missing something (It has happened before.:p)

Status
Not open for further replies.