Picking a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jnojr

Dec 1, 2022
Show Low, AZ
At some point, I need a new stove. Place is just a little over 1000 sq. ft. The stove is in the living room area with a pipe/flue going straight up to the roof (not against a wall). House was built in 1987 and has an electric furnace (which does work, but is kind of pricey in the winter!) We're in Show Low, AZ at about 6300 feet. We probably need the stove for heat from Nov to May. We would like something with a glass door to see the fire, and something that doesn't require a Ph.D in atomic rocket surgery to operate... we sometimes have guests, and I'd like for them to be able to start a fire without being an expert.

There's a local dealer who carries a lot of Vermont Castings. They're supposedly also a Quadra-Fire dealer. There are supposedly Blaze King and Pacific Energy dealers somewhat nearby.

Part of my question is, how do you go about picking? There are so many brands, cat/non-cat, etc. The discussions here seem to quickly delve into technical particulars of the scenario in question. Which brands are "good" or "bad"? If I pick something that doesn't have a local dealer, how do I find / evaluate an installer? Is there some kind of certification? I don't want to have Billy Bob who's done this before installing... how can I be reasonably certain they actually know what they're doing?

If you scroll through the forums, you’ll see many recent posts of new burners having trouble learning to operate their stoves correctly. This is a skill that has a learning curve. You may not want “guests” to operate a wood stove.

Methinks of the list you have, the PE is best, simple, hard to kill. And a great reputation. And guests don't have to get a license to operate it.

Other stoves are good (BK for sure, others will add.to that list).

Atomic rocket surgery - I like it!

Reactions: EbS-P
For simplicity's sake, a mid-sized Quad or PE stove is a better bet. Catalytic converters in stoves can get damaged due to improper usage by a renter. I would rule out the VC stoves. They have a more complicated burn system.

Methinks of the list you have, the PE is best, simple, hard to kill. And a great reputation. And guests don't have to get a license to operate it.

Other stoves are good (BK for sure, others will add.to that list).

Atomic rocket surgery - I like it!
I'd love to know a little more about the differences between various stoves and their quality / warranty, etc.

Thank you for the data point.

I'll defer to begreen

All I think I can say is that cat stoves (as a BK) have a risk of mistreating the cat. They are as simple to operate, but a mistake can ruin a cat.

So if you will have others operating the stove, it's best to avoid a cat stove imo.

The (irrelevant) quality of a BK is very high. PE too, from what I read.

I’m not a big fan of wood stove for use with people of questionable knowledge/experience. Try a heat pump and lock the stove unless you are using it.

Reactions: Woody Stover
There was once upon a time a member here that wrote up an 8 step memo and posted next to Blaze King Princess. He did this because regardless of the stove brand or technology, they always abused the stoves.

None of today's proven wood stoves are difficult to operate when INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOLLOWED. Your job is to post the instructions and provide users with good, proven, dry fuel.

Enjoy the search..

Reactions: webby3650
And that don't feel responsible when instructions pertain to someone else's equipment.

I believe non-cats are easier to operate correctly, and to maintain, and PE stoves have very few moving parts compared to most others.

Burning trash, lighting and not monitoring to adjust air controls resulting in over-fire, using lighter fluid are a few things that come to mind; best to keep wood burning appliances to those that understand & respect them.

I am a newbie owner of a VC Dauntless flexburn. I am very happy with it but agree there is a learning curve - which is why I am here:) I am older, but I have found I actually enjoy tramping out to where I've stacked my wood and getting the stove ready for the next use - very easy to empty the ashes, clean the doors and I love the top loading. My biggest issue is I don't always get it started quickly - but my husband (who keeps reminding me he was once a boy scout) has much less trouble.

There was once upon a time a member here that wrote up an 8 step memo and posted next to Blaze King Princess. He did this because regardless of the stove brand or technology, they always abused the stoves.

None of today's proven wood stoves are difficult to operate when INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOLLOWED. Your job is to post the instructions and provide users with good, proven, dry fuel.

Enjoy the search..
People won't follow the instructions. Woodstoves in rentals are almost always a mess when I work on them

People won't follow the instructions. Woodstoves in rentals are almost always a mess when I work on them
Most people won't, probably.

And then you have to wonder if they'll tell you about the chimney fire... if they realize they're having one.

I would never put a wood stove in a short term rental. Way too many things to go wrong. I'd be quite hesitant to put one in a long term rental but at least you could train a long term tenant to use it correctly. Make sure you supply the wood.

At some point, I need a new stove. Place is just a little over 1000 sq. ft. The stove is in the living room area with a pipe/flue going straight up to the roof (not against a wall). House was built in 1987 and has an electric furnace (which does work, but is kind of pricey in the winter!) We're in Show Low, AZ at about 6300 feet. We probably need the stove for heat from Nov to May. We would like something with a glass door to see the fire, and something that doesn't require a Ph.D in atomic rocket surgery to operate... we sometimes have guests, and I'd like for them to be able to start a fire without being an expert.

There's a local dealer who carries a lot of Vermont Castings. They're supposedly also a Quadra-Fire dealer. There are supposedly Blaze King and Pacific Energy dealers somewhat nearby.

Part of my question is, how do you go about picking? There are so many brands, cat/non-cat, etc. The discussions here seem to quickly delve into technical particulars of the scenario in question. Which brands are "good" or "bad"? If I pick something that doesn't have a local dealer, how do I find / evaluate an installer? Is there some kind of certification? I don't want to have Billy Bob who's done this before installing... how can I be reasonably certain they actually know what they're doing?
Run do not walk from Vermont Castings

I am brand new to wood burning. Purchased a Pacific Energy XL 27, installed on November 22, chimney and all by professionals. Like your set up - the chimney is straight up through the roof. My home is 1000 sq. feet as well, and this stove is more than enough to do the job. I was concerned it would take me a while to learn the tricks of using a wood stove but this stove is so easy to use I had it down in a couple of days. I researched much here on this website and really found no one unhappy with Pacific Energy. I am using the stove top to warm up my leftovers, and provide hot water for tea, as an additional bonus. When I stoke it well before bed and turn the damper all the way down, I wake up to a warm home and a bed of hot coals to get it going again for the day. I could not be happier with my purchase. I am finding that my evenings are spent relaxing and reading by the fire, whereas previously I was always inclined to continue working at night. Therefore it is great for my well-being.

IMG_20221127_192234783.jpg

I am brand new to wood burning. Purchased a Pacific Energy XL 27, installed on November 22, chimney and all by professionals. Like your set up - the chimney is straight up through the roof. My home is 1000 sq. feet as well, and this stove is more than enough to do the job. I was concerned it would take me a while to learn the tricks of using a wood stove but this stove is so easy to use I had it down in a couple of days. I researched much here on this website and really found no one unhappy with Pacific Energy. I am using the stove top to warm up my leftovers, and provide hot water for tea, as an additional bonus. When I stoke it well before bed and turn the damper all the way down, I wake up to a warm home and a bed of hot coals to get it going again for the day. I could not be happier with my purchase. I am finding that my evenings are spent relaxing and reading by the fire, whereas previously I was always inclined to continue working at night. Therefore it is great for my well-being.

View attachment 304758
NIce! Husband and I are working towards this direction. With all the brands of stoves out there, it is challenging to research. Glad you posted this!

Reactions: RShim