Pics of "Major Score"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willisl64

Apr 6, 2008
South Central IA
Got started on the neighbors dead standing timber today. Cut for about 2 hours, hauled it all in and started splitting. 2 truckloads total, one of the larger rounds and one of the smaller stuff...as you can see I have a very handsome helper! This is about 10% of what I have marked to take out this fall.

Attachments

• 101_0236.jpg
    101_0236.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 840
  • 101_0239.jpg
    101_0239.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 850
  • 101_0242.jpg
    101_0242.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 873
  • 101_0246.jpg
    101_0246.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 860
Good deal, I've been lucky enough to have a few good scores lately as well. How do you like the long bed extra cab? I ended up picking up the short bed quad as I really didn't want something that wouldn't park in a normal spot, but am struggling to find a spot with the load to set the saws and gas/oil. Wish I could get a box, but that would end up giving me too short a bed for the wood. What are you and others doing for this? Sorry to jump in on the post, hope I'm not stepping on toes.
Chad

Chad -
Love my truck - just got it last spring, its a 99 2500 with a cummins - 93000 miles. I don't worry too much about having trouble parking, out here in Iowa there is usually plenty of room, not like I take it to the city too often, not that Des Moines is much of a city. I wont have another truck without the tool box, so the long box is almost a must. Filled to the gills, I can get a cord in 2 loads with the tool box, and with the 3/4 ton, payload isn't much of a concern. Only thing I'd change about it is to change the transmission from an automatic to the high output 6 speed manual for pulling the stock trailer.

Good job! That is a good looking pile.

Willis, since you have been able to split some of the wood and if you have a meter can you tell us the moisture content? If not, could you tell us if the wood would be ready to use this winter?

BJ64- I don't have a moisture meter, but this wood isn't intended to burn until next winter, probably not till February or March of 2010 at that. I took down two trees, both red oak. One of the trees is still holding its bark very tightly and has a strong (good) odor when split, so I'd say its holding quite a bit of moisture yet. The other lost most of its bark during the bucking process and appears to be quite a bit drier - the smaller limbs would probably burn late winter this year if needed.

Good follow up report willis...sounds to me that you might have a couple years dead wood in those woods. That's a good take ...being so close to home and all.

Got another load this evening before a 2 day rain event set in. My helper likes to stack wood almost as much as he enjoys "Gertie" the bottle calf... Probably won't be able to access the neighbor's land for several weeks with the moisture from this rain event due to a water way that we have to cross, but this will make just under 2 cords of dead standing oak.

Attachments

• 101_0250.jpg
    101_0250.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 557
Great haul on some 1st rate firewood!!

Status
Not open for further replies.