Picture please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geka

Oct 30, 2008
New Jersey
We are having an Avalon Tree of Life propane stove installed this Friday and it will be direct vented right out the side of the house. No stove pipe going up just that vent thing. I would love to see pictures of what this will look like. I am a bit nervous that it will be unsightly so please bloggers encourage me that it wont' be that bad. Please post your pictures...please!!!

No pic for you but this "out the wall" chimney is super common in my area. It doesn't look bad at all unless your installer doesn't tune the appliance and you end up with black soot all over the siding of the home around the chimney.

It looks about like a roof vent on the side of your house. I've seen them painted to match the house or left as natural SS.

Is there anyway that the exhaust gases from the termination vent on the side of the house can find there way into the house via sofit venting in the eves of the house?

John

Certainly, the exhaust can rise and be sucked into soffit vents but that suction would also drag the exhaust to the ridge vent.

You've got to figure that if they let these things exhaust directly into homes (the ventless models) without chimneys that they're probably OK with the chance that the exhaust might pass through your attic. I would prefer a vertical chimney above the roofline but costs go up substantially along with the chance for roof leaks and less flexibility of installation due to roof rafters.

Surely it's been installed by now, you'll have to post some pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.