Pictures of Cold Starting My Woodstock Keystone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
This is what I start with, a small pile of kindling and let her rip for 15 minutes.

Attachments

• Pictures of Cold Starting My Woodstock Keystone
    100_1326.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 433
    100_1327.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 436
Then I rake the coals forward and place a split from corner to corner, then fill in with 2 more splits, one in back and the other in front. The bottom split forces the other two to lay at a slight angle for better air circulation.

Attachments

100_1328.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 409
    100_1331.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 426
Then I lay one more across the top two and let her go for 15 minutes and engage the cat at #1.5. After 15 more minutes I dial down to #1 and she settles in for a good 6-8 hours with a load like this topping off at 550.

If I want a longer burn I just pack the splits straight in with no air gaps and can squeeze a couple more in than this load.

Attachments

100_1332.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 408
    100_1333.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 453
Todd,

Nice and I can see the fire past the andirons on the sides too......... ;)

I am assuming the last pic, front view of the stove with the firebox full of flames is prior to dampering down and engaging the cat - or is that your normal cat burn?

Just courious - how much flame are you comfortable with before you get concerned that you are getting flames on the cat? I have been letting the flames wick the bottom of the cat shield and some between the cat screen and the top of the glass. I'm thinking that on the Keystone, the cat sets so far back in the stove away from the screen that it would be very difficult to get flames on the cat - other than secondary gasses that light-off. How much flame will you tolerate on your Keystone vs your Fireview before you get concerned about cat damage from the flame?

Nice looking stove.

Thanks again,
Bill

Todd said:
Then I lay one more across the top two and let her go for 15 minutes and engage the cat at #1.5. After 15 more minutes I dial down to #1 and she settles in for a good 6-8 hours with a load like this topping off at 550.

If I want a longer burn I just pack the splits straight in with no air gaps and can squeeze a couple more in than this load.

Todd it looks great, what size is the fire box?

zap

Thats nice.

leeave96 said:
Todd,

Nice and I can see the fire past the andirons on the sides too......... ;)

I am assuming the last pic, front view of the stove with the firebox full of flames is prior to dampering down and engaging the cat - or is that your normal cat burn?

Just courious - how much flame are you comfortable with before you get concerned that you are getting flames on the cat? I have been letting the flames wick the bottom of the cat shield and some between the cat screen and the top of the glass. I'm thinking that on the Keystone, the cat sets so far back in the stove away from the screen that it would be very difficult to get flames on the cat - other than secondary gasses that light-off. How much flame will you tolerate on your Keystone vs your Fireview before you get concerned about cat damage from the flame?

Nice looking stove.

Thanks again,
Bill

That last shot is about 5 minutes prior to engaging at #1.5, guess I should of took a couple more after. After I engaged the cat at #1.5 the flames subside and slow down some but still plenty there and I just let it go for another 15 minutes before turning it down more for a longer burn. I'm not worried about the flames damaging the cat, I get some bursts close to and even inside the screen but I was told as long as you don't have a large steady flame sucking into the cat your fine. I think air settings over 2 might do some damage but I never use that high of setting during cat mode.

Here's an old video of how she looks like burning at #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INcHF_4mDe0

This is another video burning a little over #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBiJDNqCIqk

zapny said:
Todd said:

Todd it looks great, what size is the fire box?

zap

1.4 cu ft

Nice light show on the vids..I see she favors the left side some?

HotCoals said:
Nice light show on the vids..I see she favors the left side some?

Good observation. I think it does favor the left some and think it's due to the stove design. The soapstone is two layers on the left side and only 1 layer on the right so there is a larger gap on the right side between the air wash and side of the stove. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Todd said:
That last shot is about 5 minutes prior to engaging at #1.5, guess I should of took a couple more after. After I engaged the cat at #1.5 the flames subside and slow down some but still plenty there and I just let it go for another 15 minutes before turning it down more for a longer burn. I'm not worried about the flames damaging the cat, I get some bursts close to and even inside the screen but I was told as long as you don't have a large steady flame sucking into the cat your fine. I think air settings over 2 might do some damage but I never use that high of setting during cat mode.

Very nice vids!

Your steamer pot on the stove - is that from Woodstock?

Thanks - Bill

leeave96 said:
Todd said:

Very nice vids!

Your steamer pot on the stove - is that from Woodstock?

Thanks - Bill

Nope I got it for $10 on E-Bay

Todd, I did not see any kindling! Maybe we just make ours smaller. It all looks great and it appears you are liking this stove.

Backwoods Savage said:
Todd, I did not see any kindling! Maybe we just make ours smaller. It all looks great and it appears you are liking this stove.

I like my kindling about 1-2" diameter. A little chunk of fire starter and she takes right off. Yes, I'm liking this stove, waiting for the colder weather so I can burn it more. Right now it's mostly just small fires here and there to help out the Fireview if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.