Pictures of my woodpile from one days work...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post some pics of the wood I collected in 24 hours this weekend. I rented a U-Haul 5x9 trailer with gate and filled it three times. Almost all Maple, with some older Ash thrown in too. So how much do you guess is in there? Now I just need to rent a splitter and stack it...

Later,

Eric

Attachments

• Woodpile1.jpg
    Woodpile1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 679
  • Woodpile2.jpg
    Woodpile2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 694
Reactions: zap
Eric said:
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post some pics of the wood I collected in 24 hours this weekend. I rented a U-Haul 5x9 trailer with gate and filled it three times. Almost all Maple, with some older Ash thrown in too. So how much do you guess is in there? Now I just need to rent a splitter and stack it...

Later,

Eric
Go Eric , Go Eric ...........your the wood man , go Eric . Ah ...................I guess 1 1/2 cords. Good job . MountainStoveGuy work the wood today too and he is already on the Jack and Coke. Must of been a good wood week .

Eric said:
Hi everyone,

Later,

Eric

Rest ya back son. Rest ya back. Good days work.

I must say picture 2 has some real challenging pieces to split. Usually maple splits rather easy Just a decent maul

If you rent the trailer and then a splitter I am wondering the total cost invested in the wood not the time factor
The cost of a splitter rental I would want to have more wood to split to make it worth while Even if too tired to get to it

Good Job Eric,

While there are some "rugged pieces" in that pile...Looks like you can get through most of them with a maul..From Pic 2 you can see where some of the logs are telegraphing a crack for how to split them...

ps..Keep a few extra pieces of Ash handy for when the neighbor comes around so you can use Brother Barts trick for building neighborly relations!!!!

I'll second the maul for that pile. You might even be faster with it than a splitter. Maple and Ash that size will usually split with two strikes. Looks like bout 1.5 cords to me. Even the crotches in that pile won't be too bad. Don't try to hit them in the crotch of the Y to split. Turn the Y sideways and hit one of the smaller Y tops. Most times with maple you'll split the thing right in half. After you've split most of that pile have a big peice of dry ash sitting there and hit it hard with a maul, and you'll be amazed how big a peice of wood you can actually split with just a 6 lb. Last night I split a few rounds that were about 15" across...1 shot. Ash is great that way.

Nice pile,
Are you burning that wood this winter? It's getting a little late to be collecting for this season.

Hey everyone,

No, I'm not burning most of that pile this winter. The ash pieces up against the fence have actually been cut since Sept. last year so they might be ok later in the winter if i get them split soon. I've already hand-split a little over a cord of that same ash with my 6lb. maul. Some of it was 24" in diameter. Usually had to start with the maul to get a crack, put wedge in the crack and finish initial split with sledge hammer on the wedges. That's all piled up in the back yard and not pictured here.

The new maple is mostly going to be for the following winter. I've got my own maple that will also be taken down in the next few weeks. After that is all bucked up then I'll probably get the splitter. With 2 year old and 12 week old boys at home I don't have much time for hand-splitting this year. I am definitely starting to enjoy it though. I'll probably save some of the easier stuff to do by hand just for the workout.

Eric

Nice pile o wood. I estimate around 1 1/2 cords too. If you often get a pile like that, you'll be well ahead and can take your time w/a maul. Or make your neighbors jealous by getting a splitter and stacking it all. :)

33490d1317662107-need-help-choosing-primary-ccw-pistol-wife-zombie.jpg

Considering this thread was from 2006, I'd bet the wood in question has LONG since been processed and burnt.

pen

I didn't even notice the bell bottoms the guy was wearing! Ha:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.