Pipe Temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scott13676

Oct 29, 2018
NY
hello everyone, Im new to burning wood. I have a clayton 1600m. I was under the impression that you want your pipe that is exiting the furnace to be around 350 deg or so. I thought I was doing well with everything, such as getting my BD all dialed in and getting the firebox up to 450-500 then I checked the exhaust pipe and its steady around 180-200. is this normal or should it be higher? I took the reading about 2 feet past the cast iron collar coming out of the furnace.

How (with what) are you measuring that?

Where is your BD with respect to your temp measurement?
im using a magnetic and a digital thermometer halfway between the 45 coming out of the furnace and the BD. the baro is about 2 and a half feet from the exhaust elbow.

I don't think I would worry about it if your draft is in spec. You mentioned playing with your BD - but do you know how much draft you actually have? That usually means measuring with a manometer. Even then, if it seems to be working OK, it likely is. External pipe temps are a LOT cooler than what it is inside the pipe - I think I would be more concerned seeing 350 external with a magnetic guage - that might mean it is too hot in the pipe. I have one of those right beside a probe thermometer on my pipe, and when I'm burning the magnetic reads a full 100c less than the probe.

I don't think I would worry about it if your draft is in spec. You mentioned playing with your BD - but do you know how much draft you actually have? That usually means measuring with a manometer. Even then, if it seems to be working OK, it likely is. External pipe temps are a LOT cooler than what it is inside the pipe - I think I would be more concerned seeing 350 external with a magnetic guage - that might mean it is too hot in the pipe. I have one of those right beside a probe thermometer on my pipe, and when I'm burning the magnetic reads a full 100c less than the probe.
the draft is spot on at .06. i know the cast iron collar coming out of the furnace is up there in temp. Thanks for the quick response and the help!