Pizza oven over fireplace. Poor draw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe I missed it, but do the flues go straight up on either side? Are they at the extreme edges of the firebox, all the way back, front, centered etc.? How big are they, what shape, round, square, trapezium?

I'm no expert, just curious.

I'm not an expert with fireplace's. But my father, who built a number of houses, used to tell me this story. He would look at a fire box and say it will never work. He explained the fire would draw correctly when the angles, dimensions and ratio of the fire box walls were right. Looking at your picture, IMO it doesn't look right.

I really doubt any contractor will tear that thing out and redesign it to work properly without going to court. I think your best bet is to put some glass on it and see if that works. Having two fires on the sides is just dumb and not a real solution.
Then take them to court. It is a bad design that they paid good money for

Then take them to court. It is a bad design that they paid good money for
I really doubt that the guy that built it, is the same guy that designed it..
I get it all the time with custom shower doors/enclosures..
They tell me what they want, I tell em it won't work like that, and I won't do it like that..
They tell me they saw a picture of it done like that..
Me--can you show me the picture..
Them--here look..
Me--you can't do that, and here is why -----------_----------
Most times it's something they saw on the Internet or magazine that would never work or was propped up for a photo shoot..

I really doubt that the guy that built it, is the same guy that designed it..
I get it all the time with custom shower doors/enclosures..
They tell me what they want, I tell em it won't work like that, and I won't do it like that..
They tell me they saw a picture of it done like that..
Me--can you show me the picture..
Them--here look..
Me--you can't do that, and here is why -----------_----------
Most times it's something they saw on the Internet or magazine that would never work or was propped up for a photo shoot..
If he didnt design it who did? If they paid to have it designed take the designer to court to. Unless the contractor was working from a set of plans and built it to those plans it is on him. They paid allot of money for a unit that is supposed to work and it doesnt. That is the contractors responsibilty unless he told the homeowner it wouldnt work and had them sign off on that. As a contractor yes we have people ask us for things that wont work all the time and we dont do them. If we did it would be our problem to make it work.

Reactions: Ashful