Placing 3'x4'x1" flagstone hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nthnallen08

Aug 22, 2021
Groton NY
I just picked up a 3'x4'x1" piece of flagstone to go under my regency wood stove. My house is under construction right now so i was planning on placing the stone on the subfloor but i have been advised the stone could crack under the weight of the wood stove. Are there any foam products i could put under the stone to evenly distribute the weight?

It's not the weight of the stove that may crack it. It's an uneveness or flexing under the slab that concentrates the weight on a less supported low spot. Make sure the subfloor is well supported so that there is no flexing of the subfloor under the stove. Then the slab could be bedded in a generous amount of silicone for cushioning and support. Or put down a sheet of plywood or cement board, then lay down a thick layer of bedding compound like latex modified thinset troweled with a 1/4" notched trowel and set the stone on that.

Block the framing below as well as what was said already. In short treat the floor as you would for large size ceramic tiles.

this is one of the major disadvantages of flagstone. Its really uneven. Both top and bottom. Im going to be unpopular and say your going to be better off choosing a different material.. not trying to be a bummer.. pick something a little easier to work with thats probably not going to crack a couple year's down the line..