Plans or instructions for building 1" spacing non-combustable wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wagvan

Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Are there any plans or instructions for properly building a non-combustable wall that is spaced 1" out from the combustable wall? We have a corner and it currently has paneling and wallpaper back there. Underneath should be plaster on lathe. What I'd like to do is remove the paneling (there is a door on either side of the corner, so a good stopping place and put up the 1"spaced wall. I was thinking cement board with sheet metal over it, possibly tine ceiling material, so it looks nice. Or I could use tile. I'm assuming there needs to be a space at the bottom and the top for the air to circulate, but can be the sides be enclosed? The thimble goes through the ceiling, so I don't need to worry about that. What is used for the spacers? Any other details? Any pics of well done installs? Thanks!

Here’s a link to USG’s guide for fabricating and installing a Durock backerboard wall shield. You could also use Wonderboard brand cement board if that's easier to locate:

http://tinyurl.com/nmmt3

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know I could use furring strips! I figured it had to be some sort of non-combustable like ceramic spacers. Now does anyone have any pics of their finished wall shield installs?

As long as the furring strips are made of a non-combustible product, they are ok. They could be metal hat channel or strips of durock. I like using durock strips, keeps it simple and you already have the material on site.

This is a pic of an old (now long gone) installation using cement board panels spaced from the walls, and covered with tiles. It needs to be ventilated along the bottom and top edges, but it's OK to finish the sides. Air needs to be able to enter along the bottom and travel up and out the top. What's the "big picture" of the installation you're building? Rick

Attachments

• oldlopi.jpg
    oldlopi.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 249
Wagvan, I'm glad you asked these questions; and thanks to BeGreen and fossil for info and picture access. I've been all over this website and its unending forum posts for a few weeks.
We're going to install a wood burning stove in our LR (through the ceiling/roof) and want to be as fire safe as possible for a DIY project. I think we may go with durock one inch away from the wall with ceramic spacers (saw them at www.NorthlineExpress.com). We have local -indigenous rock which we may attach/mortar (I don't know the term) to the durock. Do you Veteran's of these forums know if that would allow us to place the woodstove within inches (8") of the rock?

I need to find pix that show wood stove, with ceiling/roof chimney and rock or sheet metal application. Any suggestions?

Again, thanks to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.