Plate Heat Exchanger Mounting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GCTerpfan

Aug 6, 2014
Grantsville
With a lot of help and information that I gained from this site I recently installed an OWB to heat my house and DHW. I fired it for the first time this weekend and with the exception of one minor leak I found in on of the copper adapters to my heat exchanger everything is working great.

However, as I was cleaning up I picked up the manual for my heat exchangers and noticed that it said that they must be mounted vertically. I somehow didn't see this when I was installing them and mounted both a 5"x12" 30 plate for DHW and a 5"x12" 50 plate that heats my house horizontally. The horizontal mounting made the piping a lot easier and 'cleaner'.

Did I make a mistake? Will the heat exchangers still function correctly mounted horizontally?

I'd guess the orientation is for air escape reasons. Not sure if it'll be a problem. If you can use high volumes of fluid to push air out, i'd guess you'd be fine.

I have yet to find any reasoning for the vertical orientation. I have found mounting instructions for various brands on line that say things like "should be mounted vertically", " Mount vertically if possible" and found one website that alluded to them working more efficiently if mounted vertically but I have never found any reasoning for the requirement?

I was told to mount vertically to ensure minerals don't depositdecreasing the efficiency. I have to mount two of them as well. Trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I was told to mount vertically to ensure minerals don't depositdecreasing the efficiency. I have to mount two of them as well. Trying to figure out the best way to do it.

The only mount I have seen causing a problem is with the connections facing down, with the HX in a flat position. Any other mounting should be fine with pumped fluid flows. Unless the manufacturer has specific reasons to avoid a position?

Reactions: heaterman
Status
Not open for further replies.