Playing with the big ones again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Buddy had two big red oaks to knock down. One dead and the other almost dead. No rot in either one. The main part of the trunk is getting milled into boards but I hauled off about 4 cords of tops.
FB0829E6-C403-404E-B76B-6325F3FF1B6D.jpeg
820C84A6-2050-4C83-BB5B-4E90CF1EB7D8.jpeg
For the record, my saw is a MS361 sporting its 25” bar.

The pile of spit stuff to the left is already 24’ x 18’ with an average height of about 6’. The pic is just showing a corner of that pile

Very nice...jealous because I have been working 6 days a week all summer and down on my scrounging.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

And this was dropped off 10 minutes ago. A section of one trunk that they decided not to mill. The 361 is gonna earn its keep....again.
3398D8FD-13D1-4C59-ACE7-57C5CDBD03BB.jpeg
9ft long and the big end is about 48-50 inches.

And I have been corrected by the tree guy that dropped off the stem. It is white oak according to him. I disagree but he is the pro....:rolleyes: The base looks more white, but the tops have a red tint.

That looks like a serious workout for both you and the saw. And a lot of btus in the future.

And the splitter....

Based on the bark (regular furrowed bark that is reddish when scraped/ cut) it looks like bur oak (white oak group). Bark of straight white oak (Q. alba) is more often scaly or platey.
I cut a grapple truck load of bur oak limb wood a few years back. It has surprisedly red bark that left boots, chaps and pants covered in red saw dust.
Also, the epicormic twig in last pic looks consistent for bur oak. Bur oak produces lots of epicormic sprouts.
Perhaps there is still a leaf attached to a sprout. Bur oak has very distinctive leaves - http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=72
It should also smell better than red oak when split cut (but not as good as straight white oak).

It has a slight musky scent when cut or split, but nothing off-putting. The property this was taken from is primarily white oak with a sprinkle of reds. The original acreage was a park in the early 1900’s called scamps grove. Back in the day it was well known for picnics and a stumping ground for politicians. I didn’t count the rings on these two monsters but others I have taken from there have been around the 250 year old mark.

An occasional cherry is in the mix as well, but those are younger trees.

You can actually hear my splitter salivating to sink its teeth into this big stuff. That’s what is was designed and built for. Nothing in this haul will even make it break a sweat. Me on the other hand...:p

Last edited:
Buddy had two big red oaks to knock down. One dead and the other almost dead. No rot in either one. The main part of the trunk is getting milled into boards but I hauled off about 4 cords of tops.
View attachment 228445
View attachment 228446
For the record, my saw is a MS361 sporting its 25” bar.

The pile of spit stuff to the left is already 24’ x 18’ with an average height of about 6’. The pic is just showing a corner of that pile
Nice work Jags, how long do you season (on average) your oak?

Two summers. Full disclosure - i live where full wind and sun hits it. I will do 12 FULL months in a pinch but prefer the 2 summer seasoning.

That sure looks like bur oak....excellent haul!