Pleasant Hearth 2200sq ft (Model # LWS-130291) price mistake (?) at home depot, but is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
I'm still looking to replace my now 12 year old Dutchwest wood stove which needs work that I don't really want to do or pay for. Was previously thinking about an Englander 30-nch, but when browsing home depot today a stove I hadn't previously looked at caught my eye, this Pleasant Hearth is rated for 2200 sq feet, made in USA, includes blower, takes 20 inch logs, looks like it uses standard fire bricks, and has mostly excellent customer reviews. There doesn't seem to be many posts about this stove on hearth.com, looks like one person was not happy with it, I don't see any other feedback here, but lots of people seem to love it based on the reviews at all the major sites that sell it.

In "comparison shopping" as well as reading reviews from different retailers, I found that tractor supply sells it for $989 (check out the customer reviews there also, very high ratings)
Lowes sells it for $1092
The list price from the manufacturer is $1099.

And yet for the moment anyway, home depot has it for $675 with free store delivery (and this is not some special clearance nor is it a store specific deal). This definitely seems like a price mistake, they actually sell 2 different smaller pleasant hearth stoves for a higher price. One thing I noticed was that home depot lists the model number as "LWS-130291" while Lowes says " LWS-130291-B" - I asked the manufacturer what the difference was between these models and they told me the only difference is that the "B" one comes with the blower, however if you look at the home depot listing, in both its title and description, it clearly says that it comes with the blower (if it doesn't, they're going to owe you one!).

So anyway, I was just curious to see what anyone here thought about it before pulling the trigger, does the apparent price mistake make this stove a compelling buy? I'm very tempted as I really need to replace that aging dutchwest stove and I want an inexpensive burn tube design stove...

-Gordo

Welcome back tg. I'm amazed you still have the DW. At that price the Pleasant Hearth will be a nice improvement and a very good deal. It lists for $1189. You will save that much over repairs on the DW in just a few years. ;) It's a solid basic, simple stove that loads both E/W and N/S.

Happy Stacker is a great source and very helpful with that stove.

I was watching that PH stove and the comparable Century FW3000 earlier this year. HD discounted the Century for less then the price you quoted. And I had a HD 10% bday coupon so I pulled the trigger. After I bought it the price went back up in a couple days. ymmv

Also, when the stove arrived it was slightly damaged with a few surface scratches on the rear right side. And the top right side of the rear heat shield was dented. Very very minor stuff. I called HD and they discounted the stove another 15% and credited the shipping charge. They were willing to send out a new replacement for free.

If you need a stove now, that PH price is good. But, not great :) And HD is very easy to work with.

tradergordo At $675 I don't think you are going to find a new 3 cu ft stove with a lower price, especially now.

OK, well it's still the best deal I can find right now (probably should have bought when we had that 30% tax credit deal which I totally missed). I read Happy Stacker's posts and he seems satisfied with it. It's officially on order now. Hope it works out. I'm sure the smaller firebox is going to take some getting used to. A friend dropped off about 5 cords of pallets I need to go cut... ;)

It's not fancy, but should be reliable. You most likely will be loading it N/S 90% of the time. I think it will take an 18" log that way, but measure first before cutting.

A friend dropped off about 5 cords of pallets I need to go cut. _g Are you only burning pallet wood?

Good luck with your new stove. What's five cords of pallets look like?

B92B53D3-EBF8-419E-B555-2303BA5C21B2.jpeg
Good luck with your new stove. What's five cords of pallets look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: drstorm
Well its officially out of stock now (Home Depot) online and not sold in stores, so I guess the $675 deal is dead. The walmart listing is actually $850 shipped (no store pickup). Unsurprisingly, after picking this stove up and bringing it home, I found that the blower was not included (despite it actually saying "blower included" right on the box it came in (as well as in the online listing title and details). I'll have to call their customer service on Monday, I'm sure they'll make it right (?).

Well its officially out of stock now (Home Depot) online and not sold in stores, so I guess the $675 deal is dead. The walmart listing is actually $850 shipped (no store pickup). Unsurprisingly, after picking this stove up and bringing it home, I found that the blower was not included (despite it actually saying "blower included" right on the box it came in (as well as in the online listing title and details). I'll have to call their customer service on Monday, I'm sure they'll make it right (?).
Nice hit, I also like the click link as your signature, I thought you were cradling a log, but then I realized it was a baby!

tradergordo,

Based on comments here I ordered the HD PH stove ($675). I got mine & it included the blower. It was in a box inside the stove. The stove had some scratches & possible dents (not sure just what the heat shield should look like) but I hit it with some High temp flat black spray paint and it looks ok now. FYI I took out all the fire bricks to make it lighter, to help me move it. While putting them back I weighed them, total of 89 lbs.

Cairmot