Pleasant Hearth Made By HHT???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a bit silly about this but since starting that thread I ended up figuring out that I was adjusting the air trim the wrong way! This happened because I had downloaded an older manual which specified to adjust the trim "to the right" when you have a tall, lazy flame. Once I got a hold of the newest manual it stated to turn the trim to the left. It's been running much better since making this adjustment however the burn pot still eventually gets clogged enough where the proper amount of air cannot get through. I currently have as much combustion air going through it as possible. I'll be installing an OAK next season which I'm sure will help but I've been considering drilling holes in the bottom of the pot. If it ends up causing issues I can just fill them in. Would this be a bad idea?

Some other details about this stove (PH50CABPS):

PROS

- Seems well built, running good so far after two months
- It has it's own "comfort" control system that allows it to auto adjust the feed rate based on the room temperature
- Good value, I bought it from Sams club for $1,399
- Can throw out a good amount of heat

CONS

- There is NO ash tray
- You cannot use an external thermostat
- The burn pot is not the best design
- There is no way to manually adjust the feed rate
- They advertise that the hopper can hold 120 LBS but it holds closer to 90 LBS
- No air wash system

Same stove,called cust. Serv. The other day looking for info to slow down feed. Said turn down pot to increase/decrease air which decreases/increases feed respectfully.said all ready did that. He said turn fully clock wise, maybe pot is "backwards".yea, OK. Going to fab. better feed restricter to solve my over feed prob. Also looking into changing electronics to operate this crappy unit. Get what u pay for/can afford.better homework next time around.

Same stove,called cust. Serv. The other day looking for info to slow down feed. Said turn down pot to increase/decrease air which decreases/increases feed respectfully.said all ready did that. He said turn fully clock wise, maybe pot is "backwards".yea, OK. Going to fab. better feed restricter to solve my over feed prob. Also looking into changing electronics to operate this crappy unit. Get what u pay for/can afford.better homework next time around.

You want to turn the dial counterclockwise, to -1, -2, -3 or -4. This will increase combustion air. Attached is the section from the manual stating this. Give this a try and it should definitely help.

Attachments

• trim_adj.jpg
    trim_adj.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,231
Hello

Pleasant Hearth is made by
GHP Group
8280 Austin Avenue
Morton Grove, IL 60053
877-447-4768

See their web site >> http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/product-detail.aspx/cabinet-pellet-stove
Manual
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/ab/ab46e71f-ad07-4b1f-963b-7d15cdb84b36.pdf

I worked on a one year old PH50CABPS sold at Home Depot today that burned good quality Geneva 100% Hardwood Pellets. Most of the Hitch pin was on the inside of the stove laying down on the bottom. The rest was stuck inside the auger.
It was probably built to use 100% softwood pellets only.

The weak 0.48 amp exhaust blower with quadrafile large 9 petal style impeller just barely spins up with full 120 volts on it.
The one knob control for everything has no fine adjustments, it uses a Harman style room probe to adjust the heat automatically.

Attachments

• PH50CABPS (5).JPG
    PH50CABPS (5).JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 487
  • PH50CABPS (6).JPG
    PH50CABPS (6).JPG
    128 KB · Views: 433
  • PH50CABPS (2).JPG
    PH50CABPS (2).JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Hello
I spoke to Harman recently. The GHP group went to HHT and asked them to design a stove for them to be sold in big box stores only! GHP must support it. The parts inside are the same new Pelpro parts. This way HHT sells in dealer stores with Harman and Quads. Hardware stores with the new Pelpro and Bigbox with Pleasant Hearth

Built to a standard. Not a price. ;lol

You have not seen the Auger Motor!
I have rebuilt three pleasant hearth auger motors. One broke for a customer and they sent him another one, that one broke and they sent him another one that one broke and I rebuilt all three. All of them had bent compression gear springs that got caught up in the secondary gear. Made new springs from some very thin washers. That motor resembles more of a quad motor than anything else. Never seen that motor in any other stove except for a Scandanavian jobber my buddy in Maine has. Nothing like pelpro, unless pelpro just started using the gbh motor. It might even be a synchronous motor too.

I have rebuilt three pleasant hearth auger motors. One broke for a customer and they sent him another one, that one broke and they sent him another one that one broke and I rebuilt all three. All of them had bent compression gear springs that got caught up in the secondary gear. Made new springs from some very thin washers. That motor resembles more of a quad motor than anything else. Never seen that motor in any other stove except for a Scandanavian jobber my buddy in Maine has. Nothing like pelpro, unless pelpro just started using the gbh motor. It might even be a synchronous motor too.
I always show pics. What kind of washers did you use and where did you get them?
Let's see pics of the motors and springs and you rebuilding them. Seeing is believing. :)

I always show pics.
Let's see pics of the motors and springs and you rebuilding them. Seeing is believing. :)
I don't have the luxury of documententing everything I do all day. Customers kinda want us in and out and not setting up a full on photo shoot. Guess you all are just going to have to take me at my word.

BUT if any of you ever have a broken auger motor from one of these stoves, unscrew the three screws on th bottom plate and slide the sleeve up. Be careful when you slide it up and try to keep the sleeve upright and level cuss there are a bunch of spacers and gears in there. At the base of the bottom years there are brass springs that kind of look like a circle and a triangle all in one. There are three feet on the spring that must all be making contact . In the ones I rebuilt, one or more springs were bent which caused the gears to fall too low and miss each other. My fix was bending some very very thin washers with pliers. Three equalateral bends. I don't have one to take apart and show you but if I come across one again maybe I'll slow the service down and take a few pics.

I always show pics. What kind of washers did you use and where did you get them?
I drove 3 minutes down the street to ace hardware and grabbed a few thin boy washers from the bins. It actually may have been an Aubuchon I don remember. If you had as much work as I do you wouldn't have time to be here let along document all your escapades. ;)

hotel-room-key.jpg

1301 yes, you tell him. :)

Some other details about this stove (PH50CABPS):

CONS

- There is NO ash tray
- You cannot use an external thermostat
- The burn pot is not the best design
- There is no way to manually adjust the feed rate
- They advertise that the hopper can hold 120 LBS but it holds closer to 90 LBS
- No air wash system

IMHO

- Ashtray is a waste and another seal to leak air.
- It does come with a built in T-Stat right?
- No air wash means it can be direct vented....could be a pro for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.