Please help... I have questions about my stove pipe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jrizzal1007

Nov 2, 2021
PA
Hi everyone! Hopefully you can answer a question for me. My wife and I want to install a wood burning stove in our living room and are trying to work out the detail.

Where we want to put the stove doesn't allow us to run the pipe to the outside because of a stupid amount of windows we have upstairs (it would look silly to make a bunch of bends around them) so our thought was to go straight up through the ceilings to the attic and out the roof. But again, where we want to put it there are obstacles upstairs. The exposed pipe would go through my sons room... my wife ain't having that... ANYWAY, our current thought was to hide the pipe by framing out a false wall/fake chimney all the way up to the attic and then through the roof.

So my question is: can you run pipe inside a wall as long as I maintain the recommended clearance inside? Maybe Class A all the way up? Maybe line the whole thing with Durock cement board? How can I make this work...?

Hi everyone! Hopefully you can answer a question for me. My wife and I want to install a wood burning stove in our living room and are trying to work out the detail.

Where we want to put the stove doesn't allow us to run the pipe to the outside because of a stupid amount of windows we have upstairs (it would look silly to make a bunch of bends around them) so our thought was to go straight up through the ceilings to the attic and out the roof. But again, where we want to put it there are obstacles upstairs. The exposed pipe would go through my sons room... my wife ain't having that... ANYWAY, our current thought was to hide the pipe by framing out a false wall/fake chimney all the way up to the attic and then through the roof.

So my question is: can you run pipe inside a wall as long as I maintain the recommended clearance inside? Maybe Class A all the way up? Maybe line the whole thing with Durock cement board? How can I make this work...?
Once you hit the ceiling with the pipe it needs to switch to class a chimney and it needs to be enclosed in a chase. No need for durock just proper clearances

Once you hit the ceiling with the pipe it needs to switch to class a chimney and it needs to be enclosed in a chase. No need for durock just proper clearances
Sorry I'm not sure I understand what a "proper chase" is... what's a chase?

The chase is the framed box that surrounds the chimney pipe.

The chase is the framed box that surrounds the chimney pipe.
Ok, so tell me if I’m understand correctly. I can run regular single wall pipe from the stove to the ceiling but once I get to the ceiling I need to switch to Class A pipe in order to run it inside a chase up the second floor and then go through the second floor ceiling, THEN another chase in the attic to the roof?

Ok, so tell me if I’m understand correctly. I can run regular single wall pipe from the stove to the ceiling but once I get to the ceiling I need to switch to Class A pipe in order to run it inside a chase up the second floor and then go through the second floor ceiling, THEN another chase in the attic to the roof?
You are not required to enclose it in the attic. But otherwise you are correct. Only in living space

Partly correct. The flue switches to class A chimney pipe at the ceiling. It remains chimney pipe up thru the roof. When it penetrates the 2nd floor ceiling a fire barrier is necessary, usually with an attic insulation shield on top, but no chase.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 8.24.22 PM.png

Reactions: bholler
So the chase can be a regular 2x4 studded, drywall, box as long as it’s wide enough to maintain the clearances?
Absolutely. Many times I just build it out of plywood and cover that in drywall. It saves allot of space

The chase can have a vent grille top and bottom if you want to scavenge a little heat for the bedroom.

That’s a good idea but I thought Class A pipe doesn’t really radiate heat?
Not as much, but it still gets warm. It may be 600º inside and about 130º on the outside.