Please help ID this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYClemons

Nov 27, 2016
Munfordville, KY
Can anyone tell me what this wood is. I'm located in south central Kentucky.
20161127_145917.jpg 20161127_145930.jpg 20161127_150013.jpg 20161127_151500[307].jpg
All I can tell you is it's very heavy and splits fairly easy unless you hit a knot, It only takes a couple whacks with a 8lb maul.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking as heavy as it is that it might be a little green. I threw a piece in the stove and it caught, no sizzling or spewing so its not green, just heavy.

How large was the tree? I am thinking crabapple or hawthorn, which don't get very large.

Bark looks like ash or some species of ash .

Reactions: fespo
How 'bout hickory ?

Bark shot does look kinda like ash, but cross section on the end shot doesn't. I'd go hickory based on weight, stringy, and dark center.

Reactions: KYClemons
It looks a lot like every piece of Bitternut hickory that I've ever had. A great wood! Enjoy it.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Status
Not open for further replies.