Please help ID this wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JGroot

Jul 30, 2017
A friend of mine got me some cherry wood. Next to it was this log. No leaves, out of it's natural environment. He is a tree guy and has an idea of what he thinks it is, but is the owner and not in the field for years. Can you help me confirm?

Thanks!!!
Jack

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 295
Also where you're from would help.

I spoke with a friend who is a forester. He said it was bitternut hickory.

Lol, I always write butternut when I mean bitternut. Your initial pictures showed some signs of looking like one of the many EAB ashes that have been cut down, but the ridges of the bark weren't defined enough and uniform for a mature ash. Seeing more bark pictures and certainly the well defined dark heartwood were indicators that no way it could be ash.

Last edited: