Please help! Newbie in dyer need of guidance!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JaredWClark

Dec 29, 2019
Michigan
Hello, I just bought a shelter SF1000 (2017 manufacture date) from menards brand new. I have installed it in my garage and am going to pipe it under neath my modular home to help out with my propane expenses, I have the stove installed, the chimney done perfectly no back draft. The stove heats up and the blower kicks on but only cycles for about 10-15 seconds before kicking back off then it takes another 5 minutes before doing it again. I have a good fire established plenary of heat and coals, is this how these furnaces are designed to work? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

How cold is it where the furnace is located?

Right now it’s like 45 degrees out in south east Michigan where I’m at, not cold at all
Lol. I meant how cold is it in the garage.

Sounds like maybe an iffy install just from what is posted. Between having it in a cold garage, and piping the air in what I assume is a downward direction to get under the house? More info about the system might help. Others might have more to say about that particular furnace.

So you have ducts running from a detached garage to the crawl space under the house? Or is it an attached garage? Having trouble visualizing you’re setup. Also, stop calling it a garage if you have a solid fuel burner in there lol

Detached garage. 50 degrees in garage. Two R6 insulated 8 inch duct pipes ran from furnace to house. About 15 foot between garage and house,

is this how these furnaces are designed to work?

No, but this is also not how they are designed to be installed, at all. I can't see this setup working out very well.

No, but this is also not how they are designed to be installed, at all. I can't see this setup working out very well.

agree. They are designed to be in the same heat envelope, or at the very least pulling in air which is in the same envelope. Constantly pulling in that cold air is not going to work out very well. You will have zero cumulative/snowball effect one gets when doing things properly.....heating a space with rising temps which in turn gets recirculated back through to get heated again.

Oh......well that’s gonna be a massive uphill battle on your part. Essentially you’re trying to get an indoor wood furnace to operate more like an outdoor wood boiler. Best of luck if you continue with this setup

So called garage is going to have to be brought up to same temp as your home.. you are also going to need to bring a return air back from the house to feed the stove blower... as the way u have it setup you are trying to force more air into the modular without removing some... modulars are sealed way to tight for that to work anymore. .. been their and designed a system years ago for a old boss that knew it all.. did not work properly until it had recirculation and the enclosure was warm... you can make it work but going to take some fiddling...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

This install is going to be a steep uphill battle with any furnace...but certainly not worth the effort with that one!