Please - Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog2o02

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
I have two ID's.

I think the first is cherry of some sort and the second.... I have no clue. They were both flowering trees that were badly damaged during the winter. They were both human planted very close to houses....

Looks to me like some Pear (the whole log on top of the stump) and perhaps Walnut (the brown grained one), and maybe some Cherry (the last picture of the whole log).

I know Catalpa and it wasnt that. Pear sounds right. What does tulip poplar look like? i know the dark one couldnt be more than 20 yrs old and it was 22" at the base before it split.

Here's a image of Tulip Poplar standing. #1 is too dark for the kind of Poplar we have up here.
Our Poplar here is the Aspen variety I think and there are 35 different species of Poplar, Jfyi....I think they're both Cherry. Did they have any black knot on them? It's a fungus that Cherry often has.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Might be dogwood - it's a popular flowering ornamental and the bark looks right. I can't say I've ever seen dogwood splits though.

I was thinking dogwood. The bark is rough as hell and brittle, bordering on sharp.

My guess ,dogwood, or some ornamental fruitwood and definite Black walnut.

The first couple of pics show Callery Pear, aka Bradford Pear. I am referring to the pieces with an orange heartwood, lighter sapwood. There are several pictures of the Callery Pear. I think the two adrk splits are Black Walnut. Nothing else is as dark as Walnut, at least not here in the temperate US. The last photo looks like a piece of Black Cherry. Are there only two trees here?

The first couple of pics show Callery Pear, aka Bradford Pear. I am referring to the pieces with an orange heartwood, lighter sapwood. There are several pictures of the Callery Pear. I think the two adrk splits are Black Walnut. Nothing else is as dark as Walnut, at least not here in the temperate US. The last photo looks like a piece of Black Cherry. Are there only two trees here?

Just two species. I know its dark but its not walnut. The bark is wrong for that. Does anyone have a pic of of green dogwood?

Flip those brown ones over and give us a picture of the bark.....

And nothing in those pictures looks like Dogwood to me.....

The last one is of the brown one before it was split.

Status
Not open for further replies.