Plumbers/Gas fitters, need your help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJL923

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Western Mass
Im running some short LP gas lines for a construction heater, but i haven't done much plumbing for gas. My question is on flared fittings, i believe they are called sae. I know on long runs and using soft copper, the flared end is soft enough for a seal against a male flared fitting. I bought a gas connector which has a male flared end, with fittings for female flared ends, which i guess allow you to assemble without twisting lines. These are not soft to my knowledge so my concern is how do they seal? Is it simply a taper to taper perfect fit, or do you use those tapered soft copper gaskets i see online? The gas connector did not come with any, so its a little confusing.

Thanks
Eric

Not a plumber or pipe fitter but the fittings you are referring to are probably AN fittings. These fittingd are used extensively in motor sports. There is no sealing material just a "perfect" fit.

The link below are made from Aluminum but I know they are also made with steel. I believe steel fittings are also use in hydraulic applications.

Aeroquip FCM2007 Blue Anodized Aluminum -08AN Flare to 3/8" NPT Pipe Fitting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CILYVO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_nK5LwbMK7MVPR

Status
Not open for further replies.