Poop burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinngetreu

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2013
North Iowa
Just thought I would write this to add to the "knowledge" of everyone.

The other day I needed to empty out the ash can. We had just cleaned the horse barn a few days before and put the old broken down manure on the melon patch. I decided to add some ashes to the pile since it had also recently snowed and I figured that everything would be wet and any active embers in the ash can would die out quickly.
Boy was I wrong. My wife went to do chores a few hours later only to be met with a bed of poopy coals and the occasional flames shooting up from the now steaming pile.
I dumped two 6 gallon buckets of water on it to completely kill it before it spread. Lesson learned.

As the public service announcements say, "the more you know..."!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I don't mind the aroma of horse manure. On fire? I don't know about that one.

Chit happens.

Guess the old story of Cowboys burning Cow pies must be true.

Thought there were Pioneer stories about collecting frozen patties to burn.

Dad had horses, and there'd be a VW bus sized pile of sawdust and manure to spread once a year. I found out soon that pile got hot, and one year it spontaneously combusted. It never went whole hog, but was nearly impossible to put out (a day if not a day or two). Like Vesuvius or something, with little smoke trails popping all over the place.

True story . . . one town over (well technically it's a plantation) has a human waste to fertilizer farm . . . the pile of poo caught fire one year . . . I think it's the only time I heard the fire call and opted to not respond since wading through a pile of human poo on fire just didn't sound like much fun.

fire and poop, just sounds like a bad combination.

In some parts of the world I think thats the primary fuel for home cooking.

fire and poop, just sounds like a bad combination.
I can imagine in 3rd world countries it would be. I'm sure dried poop would be alot more tolerable to handle and use.
I'm no farmer :)

True story . . . one town over (well technically it's a plantation) has a human waste to fertilizer farm . . . the pile of poo caught fire one year . . . I think it's the only time I heard the fire call and opted to not respond since wading through a pile of human poo on fire just didn't sound like much fun.

There's a country song somewhere in that story...

Reactions: firefighterjake
There are a few power plants in the US that use turkey waste for fuel. When used as a primary fuel, it can case fireside corrosion in a boiler. Human animal waste after it has gone through composting or digestion is pretty innocuous stuff as both processes are designed to heat up enough to kill off any bacteria. I have handled the output of a "cowpower" plant in VT and the solids had no odor and the farmer reused it as bedding.

I suppose it is like any fuel - just be sure and dry it out well enough? Not sure the neighbors would like stacks of it laying about drying for 2-3 years though :)

Seriously though, I can tell you from first hand experience that dried cow (or buffalo) patties do burn fairly well. Never cooked on them, but I have burned them years ago when on a camping trip as a kid. No unpleasant odor either that I recall, but you do have to be sure you only pick up dry ones...

As to compost piles spontaneously catching fire - that does happen more often that folks realize as there is a lot of energy being released by those exothermic bacteria in the right conditions.

Chicken Poop is the hottest. Gets up around 160 degrees in a compost pile.

Will burn weed seeds enough to kill em.

lots of dry grass goes in horse bellies.. guess plenty is in the poop!

You know your a redneck when.....

I suppose it is like any fuel - just be sure and dry it out well enough? Not sure the neighbors would like stacks of it laying about drying for 2-3 years though :)

Seriously though, I can tell you from first hand experience that dried cow (or buffalo) patties do burn fairly well. Never cooked on them, but I have burned them years ago when on a camping trip as a kid. No unpleasant odor either that I recall, but you do have to be sure you only pick up dry ones...

As to compost piles spontaneously catching fire - that does happen more often that folks realize as there is a lot of energy being released by those exothermic bacteria in the right conditions.

I suppose its nice to know that if I run out of dry wood this year, that I could go for broke with the road apples. <>

I think we found a solution for the other thread on here with the septic issues...

I think we found a solution for the other thread on here with the septic issues...

I guess when they say " you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets filled first", they were talking about a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.