Poop burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure the pioneers who headed west used lots of dung for their stoves. After all, many areas have very little wood and the didn't have folks who deliver propane, or oil and the certainly could not get a natural gas hookup. But out there, the dung always dried really fast and you could pick up some of it just as if it were a pizza without the toppings. They also made the first frizbees.

For sure the pioneers who headed west used lots of dung for their stoves. After all, many areas have very little wood and the didn't have folks who deliver propane, or oil and the certainly could not get a natural gas hookup. But out there, the dung always dried really fast and you could pick up some of it just as if it were a pizza without the toppings. They also made the first frizbees.

And the phrase " a crappy cup of coffee" was coined! ;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The Indians used buffalo patties to heat there teepee's. Supposed to burn like coal, last all night long, with no sparks and little smoke. So I have read.

I got a mental picture of playing Frizbee with the dog.

The Indians used buffalo patties to heat there teepee's. Supposed to burn like coal, last all night long, with no sparks and little smoke. So I have read.

For the Indians in the high prairie, it would have been very abundant. After what I experienced, I have no doubt that it would work great. But how do you think the first conversation about that went?

Running Bull: We're out of wood.
Flying Cloud: What do we use now?
RB: Well..... crap....I don't....
FC: Ok! (runs off)
RB: Wait! I wasn't finished with what i was saying!

Finally a thread that didn't go to chit. It started out with it...

A company in CT sells horse manure blocks and equipment to make it yourself. I met with them since we produce tons of manure and used bedding a week. Pound for pound the blocks produce 30% more BTU's than compressed sawdust. Got a box to test burn and they were great. Burned very clean with no smell. Problem is the equipment is expensive and the payback is long. Basically all they do is compress the used bedding with heat and hydraulic pressure into solid 8 pound bricks. Horse manure ain't nothing much more than undigested grass fibers. I suspect the extra BTU's must come from the trapped methane.

Reactions: Sinngetreu
You're not borrowing my moisture meter to see if it's ready to burn!

Interesting! I might have to ponder that one to see if I could use that one for livestock heat.

Well, have you ever wondered why the old farmers always cleaned out their pens in the spring? They let the manure build up which provided heat and bedding (straw was added usually daily). That was one job I never liked in the spring....

Reactions: Sinngetreu
I had to shovel out the lots and put it in a spreader behind a tractor and spread it as fertilizer on the fields. The lots had been there around fifty years. Talking about being in deep chit.

Can you tell if a round cow pie is loaded N/S or E/W ???

Round pies are from being fed round bales and were thus loaded (into the cow) vertically. Round bales are being phased out nation wide due to the efforts of animal rights groups, and with good reason; how's a cow supposed to get a square meal?

cowshit.jpg Wonder why they don't dry there chit in single rows, it would dry faster.:)

I'm trying to convince my wife to "season" our kids diaper.

Unless your feeding your kids hay, I'm not sure its worth the effort ! ;lol

A company in CT sells horse manure blocks and equipment to make it yourself. I met with them since we produce tons of manure and used bedding a week. Pound for pound the blocks produce 30% more BTU's than compressed sawdust. Got a box to test burn and they were great. Burned very clean with no smell. Problem is the equipment is expensive and the payback is long. Basically all they do is compress the used bedding with heat and hydraulic pressure into solid 8 pound bricks. Horse manure ain't nothing much more than undigested grass fibers. I suspect the extra BTU's must come from the trapped methane.
I'm just starting to look into this. Have you tried making bricks with those small hand operated makers?

I'm just starting to look into this. Have you tried making bricks with those small hand operated makers?
well it is already broken down into the proper particulate size , just a matter of increasing density. Ireland/ Scotland- burning peat logs for millenniums pretty much the same thing. All we have done is use technology to speed up the process of Mother Nature. A peat bog fire is a major disaster and extremely dangerous. Best to look it up as explanation is long. ( see I got us out of the chit or is that out of the pan into the fire)

So? If i had a stack of cowpies and someone stole them. would that person be a wood thief or a turd burglar?;em

Reactions: blades and begreen
Some countries people make bricks of animal feces and dry them to use as fuel. We might want to start this in America with the EPA breathing down fossil fuel use/emissions.

Just start chitting bricks.

Reactions: BIGDADDY
Status
Not open for further replies.