Poopers with no scoopers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fibels

Mar 18, 2016
Boston,Ma.
Too many times I come home from work to someone allowing their dog to drop in front of my house and not scoop it up.Anyone have any ideas I could use to prevent this mess ?

I do think it is ridiculous that is happening in the first place!
Personally, I'd fashion some kind of poop-bag dispenser to place out in the yard with a sign alerting these people to clean up their mess.

Reactions: Sprinter
Personally, I'd fashion some kind of poop-bag dispenser to place out in the yard with a sign alerting these people to clean up their mess.
You know, this just might work. They seem to in public areas. You may also want to invest in a "trail cam" or other surveillance cam so you can at least see who the slob is. Some areas have ordinances if you can make an identity.

I don't wait the task of providing the poop bag when it's their responsibility.I was told to spray a pet repellant along my front fence.

I don't wait the task of providing the poop bag when it's their responsibility.I was told to spray a pet repellant along my front fence.
That may work. Do you know who the responsible party or parties are? I think that's the way I would go, so I could "counsel" them. It's just disgusting neighboring and they need to be on notice.

Several people used to let their dogs use my yard for a bathroom. Asking nice didn't work, so I told each one that I was going to come to their yard and crap on their steps, since they thought the world was their bathroom. That worked, probably because it made them realize how nasty they were being. No problems since.

Several people used to let their dogs use my yard for a bathroom. Asking nice didn't work, so I told each one that I was going to come to their yard and crap on their steps, since they thought the world was their bathroom. That worked, probably because it made them realize how nasty they were being. No problems since.
Whatever works....

Put some ground pork out there for a snack for them when they finish their business. I had a neighbors dog that liked to sniff my garbage cans when he was let out to chit on my property every night. Few days after the pork trick my neighbor complained to me that her dog has bad diarrhea was taking him to the vet cause he was shitting all over her house. lol true story

Last edited:
Put some ground pork out there for a snack for them when finish their business. I had a neighbors dog that liked to sniff my garbage cans when he was let out to chit on my property every night. Few days after the pork trick my neighbor complained to me that her dog has bad diarrhea was taking him to the vet cause he was shitting all over her house. lol true story
Thats brilliant.

I had a boxer and pork would clean him out like sand through a goose.

To the original poster - The dog does not know any better, it's the OWNER who is allowing the behavior. If it is just a few folks, I would try to chat with them and let them know this is unacceptable. If your location is heavily populated maybe a couple small "no pooping" signs would cure the problem.

Intentionally placing something outside for the neighbors animals to ingest so they get sick is childish, rude and bordering on cruelty. If I found out you did that to my dog I would most likely want to have a baseball bat discussion with you, but the police or animal control would be involved.

My neighbor usually has 2 big pig roast parties every year. This is a rural area. Our sheltie used to go back there to play with his 3 dogs on occasion. One time he got hold of a big fatty chunk of pork when he was about 7. Since it was summer time the neighbor could not burn it in in his OWB so we came to find out that the "food waste" was just thrown in the woods and not placed in a proper composting area.

Dogs can't digest pork. That incident caused dehydration, loss of appetite, severe vomiting, sever digestive pain, minor intestinal blockage and caused an acute pancreatitis attack. This turned into a 2 day stay at the vet ER and cost close to 2 grand. Luckily he recovered, or so we thought. As he aged he developed occasional digestive issues which progressively got worse. They were all liver and pancreatic related issues. He was on a liver protectant / digestive aid for the last 3 years of his life. We eventually had to put him down when he was 14 due to pancreatic cancer. My girlfriend spent nearly 30,000 on health care for him, most of which was because some butt-hole was too lazy to put his garbage in a can.

Rest in peace my little buddy.

LISound922.07004.jpg

I tried doing this when my neighbor's dog decided he liked our yard better than his. (This was before we became a dog family...) I sprinkled cayenne pepper along the border. It seemed to work, briefly. Rain would wash it away.

If I were you, I'd try to identify the neighbor in question and have a conversation requesting that, at minimum, they clean up after themselves.

If you can't identify the neighbor, or if they refuse, I'd set up motion activated sprinklers. Might not work right now, with temperatures forecasted to be in the single digits in our area later this week...

Hmmm...you probably don't want to wait until spring to solve this. I'd get some lawn stakes (wood or fiberglass), drive them into the ground (might need a hammer and a piece of rebar to make a hole right now) and string some bright line across your property line. Maybe tie a couple of small white pieces of cloth every 5 feet or so. Dog walker won't want to tangle their leash with this.

That assumes that the dog is being walked on leash. If the dog is off leash, or is just wandering on its own, this might not work...

Anyway, as others have said...the dog is just doing what the dog is doing. Please deal with the owner, don't punish the dog!

Really hard to deal with neighbors dogs and still keep friendly. Hope your not one of those owners that allow your dog to run amuck and terrorize the neighborhood. A little diarrhea never hurt no one. I wouldn't but I know some of my neighbors would probably shoot a dog continuously out of control on their property. I have seen them chasing deer through my property a few time. I wouldn't give the dog enough pork to hurt him just enough for a payback to the owner. By the way my neighbors learned pretty quick the dog gets diarrhea every time it runs loose at night so happy ending for all and everyone is still friends. Probably saved the dog from getting run over or who knows what. Owners that don't take care of their dogs are the problem but they are almost impossible to deal with and still keep the peace.

Last edited:
My dog's girlfriend (ahem) recently spent two days in the doggie hospital because a contractor couldn't be bothered to throw a chicken bone in the HUGE dumpster onsite. Instead he left it by the sidewalk in front of the construction site. Dog snapped it up, had to be cut open to have it removed before it killed her.

I've got no interest in reading stories about intentionally poisoning dogs here on hearth.com.

Lets remember why we are here in the first place....to help one another.

Like I said, my area is rural. My side of the road was 90 acres split up into 15 lots, 2-ish acre lots in the front (me) with large flag lots behind. Just about everyone in the neighborhood has dogs. None of them roam freely or terrorize anyone. I think that is because they are well trained pets owned by responsible folks. Mine stay in the lawn, unless they are taken for a walk to visit.

The neighbor I spoke about earlier lives directly behind me on 7+ acres, with a 50 foot right of way driveway that is 400' long. It is quite possible that during one of his parties, a heavily inebriated party goer (folks sometime crash over night in tents) that parked along the edge of the driveway tossed his pork fat in the woods.

Again, to the original poster, please make a concerted effort to rectify the pooping problem by having a chat with the owner or trying one of the other "non cruelty to animals" tactics.

Like I said, my area is rural. My side of the road was 90 acres split up into 15 lots, 2-ish acre lots in the front (me) with large flag lots behind. Just about everyone in the neighborhood has dogs. None of them roam freely or terrorize anyone. I think that is because they are well trained pets owned by responsible folks. Mine stay in the lawn, unless they are taken for a walk to visit.

The neighbor I spoke about earlier lives directly behind me on 7+ acres, with a 50 foot right of way driveway that is 400' long. It is quite possible that during one of his parties, a heavily inebriated party goer (folks sometime crash over night in tents) that parked along the edge of the driveway tossed his pork fat in the woods.

Again, to the original poster, please make a concerted effort to rectify the pooping problem by having a chat with the owner or trying one of the other "non cruelty to animals" tactics.
If I see them we'll definitely have that conversation.I'm at work when this takes place and anyone can see my vehicles is gone.What a sneak !

The more gentle (and imho, responsible) first action would be a couple of signs along the trouble area. Some folks stop to think and then forget to start again. A gentle nudge can often be quite effective.

The more gentle (and imho, responsible) first action would be a couple of signs along the trouble area. Some folks stop to think and then forget to start again. A gentle nudge can often be quite effective.

You get lucky with your neighbors sometimes and sometimes you aint so lucky. One of my neighbors is cool like that and one neighbor on the other side has a pit bull that barks at everything all day long. Everytime someone goes outside he jumps at the fence and threatens everyone. Not that I should have to explain the issue but have I tried all the polite hints that I could think of. Good thing the dog is super stupid or he could climb on top of the crap they have piled against the fence and hop over real easy. I have a ccw and always have a weapon on me when I am outside now. I have told them several times if she gets out and comes after me or mine I will put 9 .40s in him as fast as my trigger finger can pull. When we go over to their house the dog is friendly. The sad part is everyone over there is really great people other than the damn dog. Creates tension on both parts.

Last edited:
You get lucky with your neighbors sometimes and sometimes you aint so lucky. One of my neighbors is cool like that and one neighbor on the other side has a pit bull that barks at everything all day long. Everytime someone goes outside he jumps at the fence and threatens everyone. Not that I should have to explain the issue but have I tried all the polite hints that I could think of. Good thing the dog is super stupid or he could climb on top of the crap they have piled against the fence and hop over real easy. I have a ccw and always have a weapon on me when I am outside now. I have told them several times if she gets out and comes after me or mine I will put 9 .40s in him as fast as my trigger finger can pull. When we go over to their house the dog is friendly. The sad part is everyone over there is really great people other than the damn dog. Creates tension on both parts.

Dogs are interesting creatures. This dog is barking at people that pass by because it's protecting its turf and has learned that when it barks, people go away. (They'd go away anyway, but this is what the dog has learned). My little 25 lb lapdog does the same thing at the front picture window and tv. Nasty, loud barking. In any other situation he's the most loving dog in the world.

If this dog is friendly when you go over, it's because you don't represent a threat. Her people have invited you in.

If the dog gets out, she may not exhibit the aggressive behavior shown from behind the fence. If she's on your property, she has nothing to protect. (Except herself).

So...while I totally understand your interest in protecting yourself, if she does get out...if you have time...try to determine the dog's intent. She may just want to come up to you and sniff you. If you know the dog well enough, call her by name and let her approach you. You know dogs and the signs -- if her ears are up, her teeth aren't bared, and her tail is up/wagging, she probably doesn't mean harm, just is curious...

If you don't have time...or feel threatened...then do what you need to do.

Dogs are interesting creatures. This dog is barking at people that pass by because it's protecting its turf and has learned that when it barks, people go away. (They'd go away anyway, but this is what the dog has learned). My little 25 lb lapdog does the same thing at the front picture window and tv. Nasty, loud barking. In any other situation he's the most loving dog in the world.

If this dog is friendly when you go over, it's because you don't represent a threat. Her people have invited you in.

If the dog gets out, she may not exhibit the aggressive behavior shown from behind the fence. If she's on your property, she has nothing to protect. (Except herself).

So...while I totally understand your interest in protecting yourself, if she does get out...if you have time...try to determine the dog's intent. She may just want to come up to you and sniff you. If you know the dog well enough, call her by name and let her approach you. You know dogs and the signs -- if her ears are up, her teeth aren't bared, and her tail is up/wagging, she probably doesn't mean harm, just is curious...

If you don't have time...or feel threatened...then do what you need to do.

My aim is much better when my crotch is not in a pit bulls mouth. I had a pit for 12 years a long time ago. They are great dogs for a family but not so great for neighbors. If I take my little dogs outside for a walk the pit goes haywire and I am fairly sure would get out. Shouldn't have to put up with the threat on my own property.

Status
Not open for further replies.