Portable Wood Shed by House??? 1-2 Cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Finally got around to making my portable wood shed for seasonal storage by the house.

Pretty happy with how it came out. It's an all PT 6'x6' deck that I can pick up very easily with my pallet forks on my tractor. It's 6' high in the back and 7' in the front. Sides and roof from regular 2x4s If full, its good for about 1.5 cords. Cost me about $180 bucks in lumber.

I cheaped out for now and have the sides tarped. I did this for two reasons... I wanted to see how the tractor handled the weight and large size of the shed before adding more weight.... and I got cheap on my trip to Home Depot.

I think I will limp through the winter with the tarps and use next year to see if i can come across some scrap lumber to make some sides.

The guy at the paint department hooked me up with a $3.00 gallon of Bher 10 year "oops" clear deck stain. Was slightly less than a gallon, but got my entire shed coated.

IMG_2129.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG

@Mike.O that looks great. I assume you're gonna lift it empty! For the exterior watch Lowes and HD in the spring for sales on their dog ear pickets. they make great sides and you can leave gaps for air if you want.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.57.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.57.14 PM.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 137
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 114
I like that Hog. Looks quick and easy. If a pallet starts to deteriorate, simply swap it out. I'll have to consider that. Got some pallets, scrap plywood and few tarps laying around, I like the sounds of FREE lol
The beauty of it being portable, is I would unscrew it, throw the parts in my truck and store it in the barn till next year. The pallets never did rot.

@Mike.O that looks great. I assume you're gonna lift it empty! For the exterior watch Lowes and HD in the spring for sales on their dog ear pickets. they make great sides and you can leave gaps for air if you want.
Those are pressure treated dog ear aren't they? That is cheap I'll have to keep an eye open. That would work great across the back and sides of my wood shed next year. Much better looking than what I had planned.

You know if they had any 8' on sale?

Reactions: Mikel Ward
Those are pressure treated dog ear aren't they? That is cheap I'll have to keep an eye open. That would work great across the back and sides of my wood shed next year. Much better looking than what I had planned.

You know if they had any 8' on sale?
Yes pressure treated! They had various sizes but 6' was the tallest. Thats why we used the clear lexan roofing at the top.
The pickets are usually on sale a couple times every year.
If you bring the screen shot of the sale price they may still honor the sale price

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.57.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.57.14 PM.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited: