Positive vibe request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
The wife agrees our otherwise wonderful stove "struggles to keep up" in really cold weather.

She is going to go to the showroom, without me, tomorrow to see if the BK King Ultra is an item she is willing to have in the living room.

I also ( @BKVP ) have the wife's permission to beta test any new BK that can consistently deliver 35k BTU / hr with a cleaner plume per EPA VEE 9 than our current stove produces on spruce at 12% MC. I am only allowed to beta test for one heating season. If the beta stove passes engineering she would expect the opportunity to buy one of the first pretty ones of the new beta'd model.

Holy cow. Off the cuff $3k non binding verbal estimate to upgrade from 6" to 8" pipe, not including drywall and shungle repair after the chimney installers modify ceiling and through roof heat shields.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow. Off the cuff $3k non binding verbal estimate to upgrade from 6" to 8" pipe, not including drywall and shungle repair after the chimney installers modify ceiling and through roof heat shields.
Is $3k a good price for that up Alaska-way? Maybe they are not used to working with shungles?

Reactions: Highbeam
Stopped by my local dealer. Saw the paint gripper sheet metal piece to avoid spending a week on living room ceiling drywall repair.

The invoice for my 6 " chimney going in a few years ago shows the sheetmetal roof shingle thingy from my old heatilator is still on my roof and 8" pipe should fit it.

And my used stove will sell quick at $2500, so thats cool.

Got the brochure to measure up my corner install for a king.

I paid about 2500 to have the 6" put in a few years ago. Parts and labor.
Yep, I too hate these unanticipated expenses.

Just try to think about how great it'll be to get out of the "struggles to keep up" zone going forward.

Hopefully you can offset some of the costs with all the royalties you are getting from the Poindexter Instant Wood Drying Solar Kiln patents.

My wife has also given me permission* to beta test the new 10cf Super King. I am holding off on the flue work until I am sure whether it is 8" or 10".

*Well, she hasn't explicitly forbidden it, although I imagine she might if I asked her.

Reactions: ddddddden
Compared to my grandpa's old smoke dragon that "also ran" on 6" chimney the ashford 30 is an engineering feat.

I am in 1979 2x6 construction, with decent fiberglass batt and vapor barrier. I have repaired most of the vapor barrier to "hat" seams around receptacles and switches on exterior walls. I have one double pane window in 1200sqft of second floor. I took all the window frames off and foamed the empty spaces.

I think an air door test on the upper floor i am heating with wood wpuld come out pretty good. I did leave a significant air leak downstairs for the air turnover it provides, i have abated mold in two places here already.

Given there is no "pretty princess" or ashford 40 on the event horizon at BK we are looking at the king.

Alternatively we might try a OAK on the A30 next winter.

Given 3k chimney upgrade, 4k new stove less 2500 selling the ashford on craigslist ... $4500 is a really nice week on Paris for two including a couple michelin 3 star dinners and some nice souveniers.

I have a hunch my A30 is getting an OAK and flogged like a rented mule for another year. Given my arthritis and my wifes wardrobe maintaining +80 to +85 dF with outdoor ambients -35 and colder is just asking too much.

I'm so fortunate that my wife doesn't care what our stove looks like, or how often I swap them out as long as it does the job. So far the only stove she wanted out of here was the Hearthstone, it was an under performer to say the least!
She did make 1 request, she wants one of our stoves to always be a BK. No problem!

Maybe you could start hinting how sexy women who wear winter hats indoors are...

It might buy you a few extra weeks before you have to upgrade!

My wife has also given me permission* to beta test the new 10cf Super King. I am holding off on the flue work until I am sure whether it is 8" or 10".

*Well, she hasn't explicitly forbidden it, although I imagine she might if I asked her.

The blaze king apex was much bigger than the king and only needed a 7" flue. It's time for some big 6" stuff. I'll beta test that!

I recall fondly of when I was a kid and dad was driving us home from church me and my 3 siblings would begin a whisper chorus "Fosters...Fosters...Foster." Fosters was the local donut shop that made spectacular donuts.

I think I hear a whispering chorus here! Maybe not as subtle but reoccurring. Sort of like ringing in my head.

The blaze king apex was much bigger than the king and only needed a 7" flue. It's time for some big 6" stuff. I'll beta test that!

We could start an Apex Retrofit Club. We'll make custom doors with ceramic glass viewports, and custom body panels so we can tell our wives, "No, baby, this isn't the big green one you said no to".

("What are those big holes on the top of it? They make it look like some kind of a furnace."

"Ohhhh, those are safety ports, very technical.")

Reactions: Highbeam
I recall fondly of when I was a kid and dad was driving us home from church me and my 3 siblings would begin a whisper chorus "Fosters...Fosters...Foster." Fosters was the local donut shop that made spectacular donuts.

I think I hear a whispering chorus here! Maybe not as subtle but reoccurring. Sort of like ringing in my head.

The Super King is MORE delicious than delicious donuts. AND it produces donuts as a combustion byproduct.

Reactions: BKVP