Possible DennisWood Nemesis?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

First let me say, if yer a newbie to wood burning, this is not meant as a recommendation ;-)

Though I started burning earlier this year, the temps have been a joke. So far I have had 6 or 7 nights of hardwood. The rest - days AND NIGHTS - has been slab. PINE slab. So between my schedule and my lumbar, I found myself VERY low on processed slab. So I had some dead/dying small trees near the house that needed to come down. I figured to use them to fill in the gaps till I could process some more slab.

One of the trees I took down was 'ironwood'. Someone - I think it may have been Zap - recently corrected me on Ironwood. Here she be
This is very large for 'ironwood' where I come from. They seem to usually die long before this.
I fell so few trees that I'm sure most here will find fault with my notching skills :lol:
So, back to the DennisWood . . . I literally cut this, delivered it to the 'boiler room' and proceeded to load it into the boiler. I had no idea how it was going to burn. Obviously a lot of BTUs in this stuff, but how much water? How much punk? I have split the larger pieces in the thought that they might burn better that way, in case the MC is higher than ideal.

Another thing I learned about 'ironwood' . . . check out the rays! Reminds me of Oak.
My unscientific conclusion . . .
If you HAVE to cut and burn in the same day, stick with Ash. If the ironwood is 'in the way' take, but don't knock yourself out for it. Small size increases processing time. If you take ironwood, use a sharp chain ;-)

If the pics don't show up, I prolly just offended someone and that member got a fav Mod to delete them :coolsmirk:

Rock On!

Looks like American Hornbeam aka Ironwood or Musclewood,because the fluted trunk/larger branches resemble muscles in a flexed arm.

Great stuff,very hard & dense.European Hornbeam is similar in color,texture & grain pattern,but its a much larger tree.Its used today for drumsticks,wooden mallets,tool handles & the bodies and/or soles of fine wooden planes.Years ago it was used for ox yokes and other farm implements. Its another cousin to Eastern Hophornbeam/Ironwood.Both are in the Birch family.

Enjoy that intense heat,save it for the coldest nights.

[quote author="ISeeDeadBTUs" date="1324496061"]First let me say, if yer a newbie to wood burning, this is not meant as a recommendation ;-)

We have some Ironwood we can burn but we sold most of it, about 1/3 of a cord (what my neighbor calls a face cord) I do wish I had cut more shoulder season wood, but if I had done that it wOOd have been cold out!.

julio

zapny said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
First let me say, if yer a newbie to wood burning, this is not meant as a recommendation ;-)

We have some Ironwood we can burn but we sold most of it, about 1/3 of a cord (what my neighbor calls a face cord) I do wish I had cut more shoulder season wood, but if I had done that it wOOd have been cold out!.

julio

Zap,

As an aside, on adding your comments to a quoted post, thought I'd try to help you out of a "hole."

Leave the quote and /quote tags ALONE, and add your input before or after the quoted block. I.e. not within.
If in doubt, click on "Preview Post" control; then you can go with it, walk away, whatever. HTH, John

I love musclewood - I make staves out of straight branches - can't beat them for hardness and lightness once dry, and the striations look very cool. Cheers!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Though I started burning earlier this year, the temps have been a joke. So far I have had 6 or 7 nights of hardwood. The rest - days AND NIGHTS - has been slab. PINE slab. So between my schedule and my lumbar, I found myself VERY low on processed slab. So I had some dead/dying small trees near the house that needed to come down. I figured to use them to fill in the gaps till I could process some more slab.

One of the trees I took down was 'ironwood'. Someone - I think it may have been Zap - recently corrected me on Ironwood. Here she be

This is very large for 'ironwood' where I come from. They seem to usually die long before this.

I fell so few trees that I'm sure most here will find fault with my notching skills :lol:

So, back to the DennisWood . . . I literally cut this, delivered it to the 'boiler room' and proceeded to load it into the boiler. I had no idea how it was going to burn. Obviously a lot of BTUs in this stuff, but how much water? How much punk? I have split the larger pieces in the thought that they might burn better that way, in case the MC is higher than ideal.

Another thing I learned about 'ironwood' . . . check out the rays! Reminds me of Oak.

My unscientific conclusion . . .
If you HAVE to cut and burn in the same day, stick with Ash. If the ironwood is 'in the way' take, but don't knock yourself out for it. Small size increases processing time. If you take ironwood, use a sharp chain ;-)

If the pics don't show up, I prolly just offended someone and that member got a fav Mod to delete them :coolsmirk:

Rock On!

Hey, that be blue beech! I guess some call it ironwood and it is about like iron, but it is not ironwood like we have in MI. That also is a big log you have. All the stuff we have here is quite small. I cut some if it is in the way but otherwise leave it alone. And you are right, ash will burn better green for sure. Take a file with you when you cut it.

CTYank said:
zapny said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

julio

Zap,

As an aside, on adding your comments to a quoted post, thought I'd try to help you out of a "hole."

Leave the quote and /quote tags ALONE, and add your input before or after the quoted block. I.e. not within.
If in doubt, click on "Preview Post" control; then you can go with it, walk away, whatever. HTH, John

I noticed sometimes it does it on its own, without touching the quotes, looks like yours did, its happened to me a few times on this forum. Looks like this post did too, must be a glitch.

weatherguy said:
CTYank said:
zapny said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

julio

Zap,

I noticed sometimes it does it on its own, without touching the quotes, looks like yours did, its happened to me a few times on this forum. Looks like this post did too, must be a glitch.

HAHA looks like someone was missing a /quote somewhere.

Man who ever cuts your chains needs help! :cheese:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
LOL Ja, thanks for the laugh! I needed it.

Backpack09 said:
HAHA looks like someone was missing a /quote somewhere.
A mod could/should fix it.

Looks like beech to me. I have tons of it growing on my property.

From WIKI.....

Ironwood is a common name for a large number of woods that have a reputation for hardness. Usage of the name may (or may not) include the tree that yields this wood. Some of the species involved are:

Acacia estrophiolata, Southern ironwood
Androstachys johnsonii, Lebombo ironwood
Carpinus caroliniana, American hornbeam
Casuarina equisetifolia, Common ironwood from Australia
Casuarinaceae (she-oaks) in general
Chionanthus foveolatus , Pock ironwood from South Africa
Choricarpia subargentea, Giant ironwood
Copaifera spp., Diesel Tree, Kerosene Tree, Kupa'y, Cabismo, or Copaúva
Diospyros blancoi, Mabolo, Velvet Apple, or Kamagong native to the Philippines
Erythrophleum chlorostachys, Cooktown ironwood from Australia.
Eusideroxylon zwageri, Borneo ironwood
Guaiacum officinale, Lignum vitae
Guaiacum sanctum, Holywood
Holodiscus discolor, Creambrush
Hopea odorata, White thingan, Ceylon or Malabar ironwood
Krugiodendron ferreum, Black Ironwood
Lophira alata, Red ironwood
Lyonothamnus floribundus, Lyon tree
Mesua ferrea, Rose chestnut or Ceylon ironwood or Nahar
Nestegis apetala, Coastal maire, Broad-leaved maire or Ironwood
Olea spp., Various olive trees
Olneya tesota, Desert ironwood
Ostrya virginiana, Hop hornbeam
Parrotia persica, Persian ironwood
Tabebuia serratifolia, Yellow poui
Vepris lanceolata, The White ironwood tree of South Africa
Xanthostemon verdugonianus, Philippine Ironwood or Mangkono, endemic to the Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.