possible overheating my Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
The past 2 nights , I would load the Mansfield for the overnight burn and the stove top temperature would climb up near 700F. The manual states 600F max, my chimney is a straight 13ft (5 ft single wall into 8 ft of double wall insulated.). The draft is good , but not overwhelming , I switched to drier wood 12% vs 20% and not loading full. . Only using about 5 splits total of ash , cherry and maple and getting and 8 to 10 hr burn with plenty of coals for restart. The only solution is to put a damper in to regulate the temps. I'll only use the damper when absolutely needed. What do you all think?

Try loading with thicker splits if you have them and mix in some of the less dry wood. Also try burning down the coals a bit more with full air before reloading.

As BG says, larger splits, and turn it down sooner. Don't go looking for a secondary burn light show before you lower the primary air. Lower the air in steps keeping some flames on the wood until you are leveled out at the temp you want.

And there is no reason on this planet to put a damper in a 13' pipe.

Only 5 splits for the overnight burn? Are they huge splits? I stuff between 9 and 11 splits in my Manny (medium sized) for each burn when cold out. I wouldn't be able to get to 700 on that rock with 5 splits - the highest I've seen is 650 on to top with a full load loaded too early (top still at 375 or so when I loaded). I'm normally loading on a smaller coal bed with the stove top at 300-325, unless I'm really trying to push the stove (like I am know with this cold snap). What size place are you heating with the stove? Switching to drier wood should lead to hotter fires, not cooler, and adding a damper should result in holding more heat in the stove, not reducing temps. Cheers!

Definitely sounds like your reloading on too large of a coal bed. Do what the others have suggested. I agree with NH on the damper mines on 15' of chimney and the only reason I use it is to keep flue temps down.

I'm heating about 1200 sq.ft and the splits I'm burning are about 4"x4" , loading n/s. The damper seems like the wrong way to go , closing will keep the heat in the stove. Loading on a smaller coal bed seems logical and closing down the primary air earlier , should help. I'll give it a try .

Status
Not open for further replies.