Possible problem with NC30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cre73

Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Central Illinois
Twice now this year starting woth a cold stove I have had smoke come out of the bottom back of the stove. It is coming out of a hole about 1" diameter even though it is not quite round. This hole is located directly above the primary air intake. I assume it is the supply for the secondary burn tubes. I have been doing something different this year starting my fires and wonder if it is the cause. I have been using about five pine cones surrounded with small splits, and it is very smoky inside the fire box right at first as the pine cones take off, I do not have any smoke spilling out the door, once a good draft is established I have no more issues. I assume the smoke in the firebox is going throught the seconday air tubes and out this hole, any thoughts on this. I did not see this issue at all burning 24/7 last year and have only seen it twice this year. Other than this the stove performs perfectly except for these 15 seconds right when I light the stove.

Yep, until the chimney draft is established all that smoke has to go somewhere. And those tubes are just sitting up there happy to oblige.

Try putting a newspaper knot or two on top of the cones to give the chimney a heat rush before the cones light off.

Thanks brotherbart I assumed thats what is was but wanted to be sure it wasn't a more serious issue. I feel better hearing it from you also.

And if the knots don't fire up quick enough, try a loose crumple on a couple of sheets of paper. The almost immediate "whoosh" from newspaper is very often enough to get the draft pumping.

cre73 said:

Holy God!

Thank God I read this. I was just about to install a 30-NC but now that I see all the problems brought to light in this thread I'm totally not going to.

What if there is some sort of manufacturing defect and Englander stands behind it and makes it right? Dear God THE HORROR!

Bigg_Redd said:
cre73 said:

Holy God!

Thank God I read this. I was just about to install a 30-NC but now that I see all the problems brought to light in this thread I'm totally not going to.

What if there is some sort of manufacturing defect and Englander stands behind it and makes it right? Dear God THE HORROR!

Defective pine cones are a dealer responsibility.

My wife and kids load up the pine cones with peanut butter and seeds for the birds. No smoke from the stove though Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.