Possible Progress Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottgen20

Feb 15, 2006
Lower Saucon, PA
Hi All,

I'm in the process of purchasing a house which currently has an old Fisher stove. The Fisher is in really good shape, but I'm only accustomed to burning modern EPA stoves and haven't had any experience with older models.. I'd be willing to give it a try, but as you can see in the picture, the current Fisher install leaves something to be desired. The owners have it raised up on some bricks which are sitting on top of a hardwood floor. Outside of the lack of an insulating board beneath the bricks, I'm also pretty sure that the hearth it's resting on is not wide enough. I don't really have much room to extend it due to the proximity of the adjacent doorway.

Due to the reasons listed above, I think that I'm going to replace the Fisher with a modern stove, possibly a Progress Hybrid. I like what I've read about the stove, it seems to be large enough for my needs, and with it's heat shields, I can keep it tucked out of the way in the room.

Here is my question.. Due to the location of the current chimney and it's proximity to the doorway, I'd like to shift the stove further down the wall to the left. The current chimney is triple wall and has been freshly replaced by the current home owner. Does anyone see any issues if I were to angle the chimney over to what I'm proposing to be the new stove location? I've attached a picture of the current install and a crude drawing of what I'd like to do with the chimney. I don't have the exact chimney height at the moment, but the stove is on the 1st floor and the chimney goes up through two additional floors before it exits through the roof. I'm thinking height shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on this plan? Thanks in advance!
Scott
Thanks so much in advance!
Scott

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.