Post your worst scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
I have posted mostly by best conquest of the elusive " Free firewood " AKA -- Scrounge.

Here's a quick story of one of my worst scrounges.

Noticed a pile of rounds on the way home for work just 2 miles from home. Stopped and ask homeowner if it was available, she stated it was Honey Locust and very heavy, also I would have to take it all, I agreed I would take it all to quickly. It turned out to be 4 pick-up loads, with some was almost 4 feet in diameter and some had a metal cable in it too. I showed up with my saw and ramps and started the task , after a couple of loads it was obvious I was in over my head. The last load was very big rounds with knots and metal bolts in the wood. Instead of taking it home it went directly to the dump. Oh well sometimes the best way to learn is by mistake. I now always review the size and condition of any scrounge.

So what was you worst scrounge ?? :p

Honey_locust_truck.JPG :p

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I have posted mostly by best conquest of the elusive " Free firewood " AKA -- Scrounge.

Here's a quick story of one of my worst scrounges.

Noticed a pile of rounds on the way home for work just 2 miles from home. Stopped and ask homeowner if it was available, she stated it was Honey Locust and very heavy, also I would have to take it all, I agreed I would take it all to quickly. It turned out to be 4 pick-up loads, with some was almost 4 feet in diameter and some had a metal cable in it too. I showed up with my saw and ramps and started the task , after a couple of loads it was obvious I was in over my head. The last load was very big rounds with knots and metal bolts in the wood. Instead of taking it home it went directly to the dump. Oh well sometimes the best way to learn is by mistake. I now always review the size and condition of any scrounge.

So what was you worst scrounge ?? :p

View attachment 260692 :p

Looks like lot of work! I would have noodled those down into quarters before even attempting to move them into the truck.

Well this is only listed as my "worst" not because of the wood but because of what it took to get it. Back in 1998, I remember it since I was out of work at the time (same as now but hopefully will be getting called back!) and I spotted a huge Beech tree in the woods, I don't get much Beech so I asked the owner of the land for it and they said yes, but it was so rocky and bumpy that I couldn't pull up close to it, and I remember counting 75 steps from where I cut it to my truck and wagon to load it. Lots of work but that was great wood, and I look back now on it and smile!

Looks like lot of work! I would have noodled those down into quarters before even attempting to move them into the truck.

I was fairly new to the "work" and my saw was small and I knew there was metal in them too. Just seemed the cards where stacked against me despite the wood being close to home and easy access. Live and learned a few things.

So do you have a worst story Zack ?

I now think good access is one of the highest priorities.. I bet the Beech provide a lot of heat - I like Beech.
Yes it taught me to make thinking "how easy/hard will it be to get this wood out?" whenever scoping out a score lol! But yes the Beech was great, don't get much here in PA. but it is around, if I ever see it I surely grab it!

There is a young fella almost 40 down the alley from me, I'm almost 60. I noticed months ago him being bitten by the "wood bug" as he had splits and rounds in his backyard, so one day I went down and started talking to him, nice young guy, works for a power company, doesn't heat with wood but splits and sells some since he has access to it from his parents property and scrounges some. He had a small pile of Beech there awhile ago, man it was really dry and he said it wasn't cut that long ago, great stuff. But I don't see it much and I've been doing this for 30 years, that's why I did that crazy work years ago, plus I had the time to do it, just like now!

I jokingly refer to this guy as "my son" since he is so interested in wood, and he really does appreciate anything that I can teach him, he's great to be around and feels the same about me too.

Reactions: enduring
Had a similar experience just a few weeks ago. I heard the saws going up the street so I took a ride up and a tree company was taking down a huge pin oak at a neighbors. The crew looked at me and eagerly asked if I wanted it. I was so happy it was oak I just glanced from a distance and said “oh yeah I’ll take it”. I went back later that day with my boys and the truck and realized It close to 2 cords and a lot of rounds 24” plus. Not to mention a yard tree so crotches everywhere. I guess it was worth the work but man that was a hard day of work. Had I looked better I would have bucked some straight rounds and been happy with a truck load or 2. I felt so bad to leave it in the neighbors yard so we worked are brains out to get it cleaned up.

Now you know why they were so eager for you to take it!

Good for you to see it through and clean it all up, like me you now will really think it out and see how much ball busting work it will be, is it close to where I can pull up to, etc.....we're all learning, I guess it's true, we do get a bit wiser as we get older lol!

But you'll be glad for that wood in a few years as it is throwing great heat!

my worst year was my first year. My scrounge was good, with cherry, hickory, oak, but what I did with it was a different story. I didn't have my stove picked out yet and my cutting was not consistent so my wood was 14 to 16 inches and split small to dry quicker I wound up with a stove that will take 22 in splits. It was hard to pack the stove for overnight burning, but we did it.. I was still.a happy camper..

I was still.a happy camper

Overall not so bad -- you had good wood that was dry and did not break your back or the bank getting it .. There's always room for improvement with this firewood obsession. Thanks for sharing your story.

Bur oak removal in my neighborhood that I'd been eyeing on my daily commute when I started wood burning. The electric utility contractor had topped out and left the dead branch wood. When wood had been down for weeks I asked permission from what I thought was owner. They were tenants and said sure, the owner was OK. It seems it was boundary-line tree and the neighbor had promised wood to their friend. Still got about 1/3 of the wood, hastened clean-up of rest, and fortunately got a side job ($20) across the street to fell a short black cherry stub & I could take wood (hauled up steep steps).

(hauled up steep steps)

Sounds like many challenges out there. The location of said wood is right up there in the top priorities. Thanks for sharing your story.