Potential Cure for Back-Puffing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a picture of the chimney. Do you think the stainless pipe or extend-a-flue would look good up there?

Attachments

• Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 350
Here's a closeup of the chimney top.

Attachments

• ChimneyTop.jpg
    ChimneyTop.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 336
Nah, that is a nice looking chimney. If you are going to mod it, do it right.

Why not try it out for the winter with the changes made so far? 2 stories of insulated flue should make a nice difference.

BeGreen said:
Nah, that is a nice looking chimney. If you are going to mod it, do it right.

Why not try it out for the winter with the changes made so far? 2 stories of insulated flue should make a nice difference.
The only difference between before and after was going from a 6 inch corrugated flex pipe to an 8 inch non-corrugated pipe. The pipe was insulated before and is now as well, although based on what I saw when they installed it today, it appears they might have done a better job at insulating this time. I'm hoping the 8 inch pipe will make all the difference, but my girlfriend who has asthma had a very hard time last winter due to the constant incurable back-puffing, so I want to get it as 'right' as possible. Do you believe that extending the liner another couple of feet can make a big difference in the draft as well? I've attached a picture of the inside for reference (note high ceiling).

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 218
If you go higher for sure use insulated pipe. If you don't you are gonna have a plugged up mess in that last two feet within two cords of burning.

A insulated Extend-A-Flue would be perfect for it both for gaining height and aesthetics. If they are even still available. But the slab would have to go.

Edit: PS I would dearly like to see more pics of that house. It sure looks nice.

BrotherBart said:
If you go higher for sure use insulated pipe. If you don't you are gonna have a plugged up mess in that last two feet within two cords of burning.

A insulated Extend-A-Flue would be perfect for it both for gaining height and aesthetics. If they are even still available. But the slab would have to go.
Can you please explain further about your two points? I have burned this way for a couple of years and have not had a specific issue with a 'plugged up mess'.

Gridlock said:
BrotherBart said:

Can you please explain further about your two points? I have burned this way for a couple of years and have not had a specific issue with a 'plugged up mess'.

A two foot pipe extension is going to have cold air blowing over it all winter. Cooling the flue gases as they pass through. Just like the crud that everybody gets in their chimney caps, you would also have it sticking to the cold walls of a pipe sticking up in the air.

BrotherBart said:
A two foot pipe extension is going to have cold air blowing over it all winter. Cooling the flue gases as they pass through. Just like the crud that everybody gets in their chimney caps, you would also have it sticking to the cold walls of a pipe sticking up in the air.
Thanks much; understood.

And to answer a previous question - yes, two feet can make a difference in draft. I personally added two feet to my stack to cure an occasional back puff and it has worked wonders. Just two feet can change the position enough to be in a different airstream created by trees, roofline, etc.

I think you are going about this correctly. Both suggestions of insulated Extenda-flu, or even trying the new setup first has merit.

Jags said:
And to answer a previous question - yes, two feet can make a difference in draft. I personally added two feet to my stack to cure an occasional back puff and it has worked wonders. Just two feet can change the position enough to be in a different airstream created by trees, roofline, etc.

I think you are going about this correctly. Both suggestions of insulated Extenda-flu, or even trying the new setup first has merit.
Thanks for the information and feedback. I'm thinking about extending it now, since the current setup doesn't meet code guidelines being that there is only about a foot and a half between the roof and top of the chimney. I also like the extra assurance of better draft since I had so many problems with back-puffing last season.

Gridlock said:
Thanks for the information and feedback. I'm thinking about extending it now, since the current setup doesn't meet code guidelines being that there is only about a foot and a half between the roof and top of the chimney. I also like the extra assurance of better draft since I had so many problems with back-puffing last season.

As BroB stated, you will have to get rid of the top plate. Personally with that snazzy of a setup I would look into the Extend-A-Flu line. They make some pretty sharp stuff.

Jags said:
As BroB stated, you will have to get rid of the top plate. Personally with that snazzy of a setup I would look into the Extend-A-Flu line. They make some pretty sharp stuff.
Yeah, I realize I need to get rid of the top plate; the sweep has been trying to get me to do that anyhow, as it is a PITA removing and replacing it everytime he needs to inspect or sweep. I am considering the Extend-a-Flue and have been discussing it with Craig. I wish he had a few more styles other than what's shown on the website though, as I don't love the looks. I also need to consider the price of the Extend-a-Flue + Installation vs. building it up with stone.

Gridlock said:
Jags said:
Yeah, I realize I need to get rid of the top plate; the sweep has been trying to get me to do that anyhow, as it is a PITA removing and replacing it everytime he needs to inspect or sweep. I am considering the Extend-a-Flue and have been discussing it with Craig. I wish he had a few more styles other than what's shown on the website though, as I don't love the looks. I also need to consider the price of the Extend-a-Flue + Installation vs. building it up with stone.

Sweet talk him into making a "custom" for ya. ;-P

(Your welcome, Craig. :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.